July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Laughing because I have rain boots with colored dots on them and my chickens STILL peck at them after 2 years. The chicks love my boots when I visit them.
I wear those cheap clogs with the holes in them and my grown chickens will still peck the holes in the clogs as well as anything interesting looking on my muddy boots or winter shoes. :D

My last batch of d’uccles hatched slightly early but at the very tail end of day 20. The sebrights were almost to the hour on day 21. Lol. Definitely don’t mind if these come early though, some normal chicks would be nice, after those disastrous legbars. Haha.
I love my d’uccles and bantams. They are my favorite I think! I think I’ll be getting more bantams as the years go on.

I wear those cheap clogs with the holes in them and my grown chickens will still peck the holes in the clogs as well as anything interesting looking on my muddy boots or winter shoes. :D
You’d think they’d realize the dots aren’t food or holes have nothing interesting 😂 They crack me up. Always a joy when you have chickens!

@CluckNDoodle breaking a broody will have no effect on her future propensity for brooding will it?
I don't know. Probably not. If you have some chicks, why not let her have them?

I finally gave in and gave my poor, desperate Black Aussie a double handful of eggs because I felt guilty shattering her mommy dreams. (Anthropomorphising much? :oops: ) 🤷‍♀️ And why couldn't I have just given her three or four? But no, I tucked the whole day's worth under her yearning fluffiness (after dating them of course--it's gotten to where I carry around a sharpie just for that sort of possible snap decision.) Last thing I need atm is more chickens... I managed to break the others... not her, though.

My runner drakelet thinks one particular pair of these clogs that I own are the sexiest thing ever. He doesn’t care about any other footwear but these dirty green ones, he wants to have his way with them SO bad. It’s bizarre.

I promised my family I wouldn't but.. today I bought a dozen hatching eggs from a local breeder: 6 Cream Legbar, 3 Black Copper Maran and 3 Olive Egger. God help me.
Do you have pics of your Legbar eggs? They're so pretty. I always like seeing them.

:fl

Somethings I have noticed about my Bielefelders:
1. they are quieter than my other chicks
2. They are more curious/adventurous than my other chicks. They seem almost bored in the brooder. They have plenty of food and water and are constantly pecking everything....lol.

Any ideas on what I can give them to play with? I am not sure what I can give them. I have some ideas. TIA
There are little jungle gyms for chicks. Like this. https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...tUSSTJn5S7mU7exgVeoYIuNSQMar_H5BoCu7YQAvD_BwE

What I do is pull a piece of wood from the wood pile with a live edge (bark). They love climbing on and pecking it. I think I have a pick of my poults on one. I'll have to search for it. The other thing I do I grab a shovel full of earth from the pasture. Grass, weeds, bugs, roots and all goes into the brooder. I know there are some do's and don'ts people follow for when they give chicks certain things. To me what I do is identical to what they'd be doing roaming around the barn and pasture with Mum. I don't loose sleep at night over this one.

Here's the poults with a log. IMG_20200518_121541468.jpg

Back
Top Bottom