June hatch-a-long!

Phew had a crazy busy weekend and weekend so I’ve missed a lot! :eek:

My crew is doing great, mama hen is doing a wonderful job and chicks have all been perfectly healthy. Have had some crazy humid days followed by the first days of fall, I mean summer :p. They’ve been loving frozen water bottles in their brooder area.

They’ve gotten to roam once and it was insanely difficult to round them back up so I haven’t been eager to let them back out but I needed to change their shavings so they are roaming right now. Mama is working on getting them back to bed and they are being a bit defiant :lol:

Here’s an updated picture

View attachment 1443173
Just wondering if you separated your momma from the other hens?

Here is a better pic. 0625181724.jpg

Hey folks!

My 2nd cracked egg is hatching and I see a pip on the top of the egg (opposite of the air cell).

Is it going to be okay? I thought that it wasn't good if they didn't start hatching where the air cell was.

Update on my chicks that hatched last Weds. They are doing well. I made this harness for their waterer today. The vertical nipples were dripping too much and one night they had a wet shavings eating contest. I stayed up massaging their crops and then lined their brooder with puppy pads for the rest of the first week. I was so upset when I thought they were all going to get impacted and die. They're fine now and I'm trying to keep them clean and dry. It's been around 100F here and I don't want issues with cocci.

I'm sorry to those of you who have lost eggs or chicks. I know you did the best you could for them.

20180627_172421.jpg

Tonight I went to candle the 9 eggs my duck has been sitting on. Four of the eggs are on day 25 and five are on day 13. Three of the day 25 ducklings have internally pipped! One of the internally pipped eggs has a very large air cell and I didn't think it would make it this far. I'll keep a close eye on that one, but hopefully it's able to hatch fine. The last day 25 duckling has externally pipped so I'm hoping for a duckling tomorrow. The day 13 eggs all looked good when I candled them. I have another duck who has been thinking about going broody for about a week now. I think today she finally decided to settle on her nest of fake eggs. She was in there most of the day. I only saw her take two breaks. So tomorrow I might give her the 5 less developed eggs.

Back
Top Bottom