June Hatch A Long

@HuffleClaw I love her! Good broody hens are the best!

@jolenesdad I can't believe that you've never had a broody hen! I'm swimming in broodies, lol! I have had 4 hens go broody this year, 2 have hatched their clutches, 1 is living with my friend now, and the other has ADD, she's been broody for months, pulled her tummy feathers out and walks around fluffed up with a bad attitude making broody clucks but won't sit for more than a day or two before she starts another cycle of indecision :rolleyes:. So they aren't always great to have! HAHA!

4-13-19 (32).JPG 5-20-19 (12).JPG

The second image is my White Leghorn, literally the only chicken breed I have that supposedly had broodies bred out of them, lol, nobody told her! :lau

I received 18 chicken eggs from ebay yesterday in the morning. I set them late last night. They were from only 2 hours away from my location and seem to have handled the shipment well. It was a mix of breeds. The seller says they have black copper marans, ayam cemani, silver and golden laced wyandottes, light brahmas, buff brahmas, bielefelders, pavlovskaya, easter eggers, olive eggers, cream legbars, cuckoo bluebars, barred rock, delawares, salmon favorelle, black sex links, australorps, black silkies, and mixes of those breeds. I am thrilled because the only breeds among those I already have are barred rocks and easter eggers, and many of those breeds are ones I've not had in the past either.

I haven't had the best of luck with shipped eggs before, but I'm trying a Hovabator incubator instead of just a random cheap plastic incubator I found online, which I have used in the past on shipped and fresh eggs from my own birds and had so-so luck both times, even though my own hens usually have a 100% hatch rate with our own eggs. So I'm guessing the incubator is one of the main issues, besides for them just being tough because they've been shipped.

60574651_2757632647586889_2025743255261413376_n.jpg

Anyway, here are my eggs when I was letting them lay out to try and fix the air cells. I can tell which eggs are Easter Eggers, but does anyone have any guesses among the breeds I listed as to what some of the other eggs I have may be? I am not the best at telling which breeds of eggs are which. Even among my own chickens, I can tell my two easter eggers apart, the one white leghorn apart, and... yeah, all the brown ones are the same to me :p

I received 18 chicken eggs from ebay yesterday in the morning. I set them late last night. They were from only 2 hours away from my location and seem to have handled the shipment well. It was a mix of breeds. The seller says they have black copper marans, ayam cemani, silver and golden laced wyandottes, light brahmas, buff brahmas, bielefelders, pavlovskaya, easter eggers, olive eggers, cream legbars, cuckoo bluebars, barred rock, delawares, salmon favorelle, black sex links, australorps, black silkies, and mixes of those breeds. I am thrilled because the only breeds among those I already have are barred rocks and easter eggers, and many of those breeds are ones I've not had in the past either.

I haven't had the best of luck with shipped eggs before, but I'm trying a Hovabator incubator instead of just a random cheap plastic incubator I found online, which I have used in the past on shipped and fresh eggs from my own birds and had so-so luck both times, even though my own hens usually have a 100% hatch rate with our own eggs. So I'm guessing the incubator is one of the main issues, besides for them just being tough because they've been shipped.

Anyway, here are my eggs when I was letting them lay out to try and fix the air cells. I can tell which eggs are Easter Eggers, but does anyone have any guesses among the breeds I listed as to what some of the other eggs I have may be? I am not the best at telling which breeds of eggs are which. Even among my own chickens, I can tell my two easter eggers apart, the one white leghorn apart, and... yeah, all the brown ones are the same to me :p

It looks like #12 is a french black copper maran...

Does she pen them up or are they all going to be mixed?

I’m gonna take the easy one and day 13 is the silkie. ;)

6 is an Olive Egger.

Cuckoo Bluebar can lay blue to green and so can legbar. 7,11,17 could be them. Those could also be an EE, but so could almost any of them, especially if she has a pretty mixed flock.
Possibilities:

3/12/10 could be marans.

1/14/16 is probably the Bielefelder.

Back
Top Bottom