June Hatch-A-Long

Just ordered 2 set of eggs on ebay....made sure they were from a different area of the US. My friend was wanting more than 3 marans so wanted me to try again. So I get to keep the 3 chicks and do some more hatching. :love These 3 chicks are the sweetest chicks too! The 2nd set of eggs is for me - a combo of Blue Birchen Marans eggs and Opal Legbar eggs. May be end of June or early July eggs.

One egg has hatched! It's yellow so my kids are happy. Three more have pipped so we are playing the waiting game!

Attachments

• 20200607_162112.jpg
    20200607_162112.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 5
Just did partial eggtopsies on my remaining 3 wheaten marans eggs. 1 had internally pipped but must not have been able to reach the shell to make an external pip as it is DIS. The 2nd looks like it quit right before hatch - there is still a little fluid in the sac with the chick. The 3rd is still alive - it's internal membrane was completely dried out and bright white. I peeled the shell and outer membrane back to where I could reach the internal membrane better, put antibiotic ointment on the membrane, and gave it a little breathing hole through the inner membrane. Still lots of veins so put it back in the incubator. Hopefully I did that right -my first major assist.

The embryo grows on top of the yolk. So, you get to see more on a side incubation. The entirety of the embryo is visible when that’s not always true on a vertical egg, the embryo can be right below the air cell. I rarely have an egg I can’t see development on at 3 days when on its side. When they’re upright some eggs will not show much until 5 or 6.

Yes that’s what I was thinking as to why I struggled to see development as clearly when they were upright compared to flat! Candled today on day 9 of the upright eggs and I can eventually see clear development 🥳

I've incubated both ways. I definitely prefer incubating horizontally but I think it actually comes down to my preference in the incubators that I have had. All of my preferred incubators have horizontal turners and it's not necessarily because vertical turning doesn't work as well.

I also agree that the developing embryos spread out a lot more and are easier to see when incubating horizontally. My current hatch is incubating horizontally but I noticed that the embryos are developing much like I normally saw when incubating vertically. I'm not sure if it's because of shipping or because they were stored differently before shipping.

I have good hatches with shipped eggs and saddled air cells with horizontal turners but I do feel a definite advantage with the vertical turners is when dealing with detached air cells. I don't think I would have lost the Peachick with the detached air cell in a recent hatch if I had incubated it upright.

The eggs I have upright are posted eggs but their air cells aren’t detached or anything so I could have still incubated them flat but I wanted to try the new incubator 😂

I still do prefer incubating flat like you do too, far easier to see development sooner and able to chuck clears and replace with others sooner!

So it looks like all my chicks will be hatching today on day 20. Only one has not and it was a question mark anyway. One is already zipping but kinda just resting for now.

Debating on incubating that one further and seeing it will hatch.

I wanted to hatch more chicks but I think imma wait a while now. Haven’t decided 🤣

Could it be that they hatched early because I had them in the counter for like a week before setting them in the incubator? I kept my house fairly warm like 73-74 degrees. Who knows.

So it looks like all my chicks will be hatching today on day 20. Only one has not and it was a question mark anyway. One is already zipping but kinda just resting for now.

I wanted to hatch more chicks but I think imma wait a while now. Haven’t decided 🤣

Could it be that they hatched early because I had them in the counter for like a week before setting them in the incubator? I kept my house fairly warm like 73-74 degrees. Who knows.
We set eggs the exact same day 😁 Mine haven’t externally pipped yet though.

I find the fresher the eggs, the earlier they hatch. So unless they were warm enough to start developing, I don't think it's from them sitting on your counter.

Back
Top Bottom