June Hatch-A-Long

I’ve lost so many in the last week to coon attacks that when I lost 3 of my silkies Sunday morning I was just really 😡 mad! I did get pretty upset Saturday afternoon when I lost the last of my lavender Orpington chicks to heat stroke! Now I have to order some more of those.😢
awwww I’m sorry. :( 😭😭

I love my Lav Orp cockerel

I’ve lost so many in the last week to coon attacks that when I lost 3 of my silkies Sunday morning I was just really 😡 mad! I did get pretty upset Saturday afternoon when I lost the last of my lavender Orpington chicks to heat stroke! Now I have to order some more of those.😢
I guess both of us have suffered pretty great losses this month :hugs

OK lovely people I have a question for all of you experienced hatchers! 🥰 I have my six lonely eggs left out of 34 and they are supposed to hatch this weekend. I just weighed them all and plotted them out on my graph and they all seem to be a bit dry. I pulled the dry sponges a week ago, those are mostly for Marans and I only have one Marans egg left.
Dry incubating with a natural humidity between 35 and 45% right now. Question is should I add some water here the last few days or just let things be? Air cell sizes actually look OK, maybe a little big, hard to tell.
Thanks, I’m really hoping all six of these hatch! Good movement in all six of them. They are day 16 and a 17 right now.
:love

OK lovely people I have a question for all of you experienced hatchers! 🥰 I have my six lonely eggs left out of 34 and they are supposed to hatch this weekend. I just weighed them all and plotted them out on my graph and they all seem to be a bit dry. I pulled the dry sponges a week ago, those are mostly for Marans and I only have one Marans egg left.
Dry incubating with a natural humidity between 35 and 45% right now. Question is should I add some water here the last few days or just let things be? Air cell sizes actually look OK, maybe a little big, hard to tell.
Thanks, I’m really hoping all six of these hatch! Good movement in all six of them. They are day 16 and a 17 right now.
Oh I was planning to lock them down day 18/19! Of course humidity will be higher for that.

Depending on the type of incubator I'm using I usually shoot for 65% humidity in my first hatch and I alter it based on what I see during hatch. For example, in my NR360s I always aim for 65%, in the IncuView I may even go for more like 70%, in styrofoam incubators like hovabator or little giant I might go for 55-60%.

The humidity in my home is usually around 45%.

Depending on the type of incubator I'm using I usually shoot for 65% humidity in my first hatch and I alter it based on what I see during hatch. For example, in my NR360s I always aim for 65%, in the IncuView I may even go for more like 70%, in styrofoam incubators like hovabator or little giant I might go for 55-60%.

The humidity in my home is usually around 45%.

Thanks so much @CluckNDoodle :lovethough I did not mean for lockdown, I meant should I up the humidity these last few days before lockdown? Will it make any difference at this point?
I have a Brinsea Mini Advance, worked awesome last month with about 65% on lockdown.

Thanks so much @CluckNDoodle :lovethough I did not mean for lockdown, I meant should I up the humidity these last few days before lockdown? Will it make any difference at this point?
I have a Brinsea Mini Advance, worked awesome last month with about 65% on lockdown.

Oops! Lol, Yes you could increase it if you're concerned that the air cells are too large. Increasing it to about 55% until lockdown should slow the rate of air cell growth.

:hugs

I just lost a few too. I thought it was a coon and nailed and wired up everything so tight a bug couldn't get it....but I am beginning to think it might be a weasel. It's walking right past my box traps full of yummy (nasty) goodies and my trail cam doesn't want to work properly so I can confirm what I'm dealing with.

Today I moved everyone to my grow out chick tractor for extra safety. It's a bit snug in there for 8 grown chickens, but perhaps whatever is out there will go for the trap stuff if it can't get ahold of a bird.

Back
Top Bottom