June Hatch-A-Long

I’ve had 3 or 4 chicks pass this week and they were all ones I got from Hoover. All the chicks I hatch myself are doing great. I just wonder why this is. I think I’m just going to get hatching eggs from now on and hatch them myself. I have to get some more lavender Orpingtons to replace all the ones I lost last weekend.

The yolk will float upward since it's a globe of fat in a sea of denser protein. Is your blue egg sitting upright also--is that what you were saying? If so, that would be the reason the yolk is up there. Otherwise, IDK. 🤷‍♀️ I don't think I'd worry about it, though (if you were worrying).

Get yourself the brightest light you can reasonably afford. Get a good one. It's disappointing to spend the money, then have it quit half a year out. (Don't ask how I know... 🤦‍♀️) :oops:

I pick up and candle all my eggs (except broodies' eggs) every single day. If it hurts them, I can't tell it. They seem to do fine. Just pay attention to your grip. It's easy to get distracted by the awesomeness and loosen your hold on the egg. :love
Makes sense, thank you.
Yes, a blue egg from my own flock is also sitting upright opposite the special upright brown egg. My bator rolls the eggs in a larger circle and the turner hovers above the bottom of the incubator, so I had to evenly distribute the egg weight.

The candling with the crappy light is because I didn't want to pull the egg from the bator to the lid where it has a pretty good candler built in. I did however order an extra handheld light which should be here today. (I was just impatient about looking...lol!)
I candled my first hatch from my own eggs everyday last time, but am trying to be extra careful with these eggs because of jiggly air cells. I'm hoping they will reset themselves.

Not touching and looking at them daily is sooooo hard! 😆

Did you get yours from Amazon? You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of the package would you.
HONBAY 200pcs Mix Color 8mm Foot Ring Bands Bird Clip on Leg Rings for Pigeon Dove Chicks Bantam Quail Lovebirds Finch Small Poultry Chicken https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VJGVTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pDJ9EbZF8DV06

ETA... That’s as good as I can get I’m stuck in bed with a messed up back. 33 years old and I can’t even walk right now 😂 it’s only funny because I don’t get how 90 year olds don’t fall over in pain.

@FortCluck what size bands did you get for your chicks. I have mostly silkies I need to band but I’m afraid everything will be to big. Any ideas? Thanks!
I know you asked FortCluck, but I use Chicken Hill elastic leg bands. I have medium and large, the mediums fit day olds and after about a week or two I have to upgrade to large. These will get them to 4/6 weeks when I will use something heavier like a zip tie.. they have them on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom