June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
This chick has me a bit stumped....it is supposed to be a Sapphire Gem/Lavender Orpington cross chick. However it is the only chick from that batch that has feathers on its legs, copper coloring on some of its feathers, and the funny Crest. I see the copper coloring and feathered legs coming from a copper marans. And don't leg bars have crests that look like that? And it has more of an EE comb. It's like bits and pieces of other chickens, so I am calling it Frankie. If it is a pullet I think I'll keep it just to see what color eggs it would lay....but I am thinking it is probably a cockerel.
20200531_104055.jpg
20200531_104057.jpg
20200531_104149.jpg

Ok wish me luck today is officially Lockdown , this is only my second attempt at hatching chickies last time was all bad no survivers :( but yet only 2 out of 24 ended up being fertile last time , I have 19 this time that have made it to lockdown ,i'm so excited, anxious hoping for a good out come this time 😀

Attachments

• 20200531_105309.jpg
    20200531_105309.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200531_105342.jpg
    20200531_105342.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 3
I have heard it is hard. The one time I did try, I was so scared that I was going to hurt the chick, so I stopped.
You won’t hurt them as long as you’re gentle and watch many videos first. It gets easier every time. I just sell as straight run now because I don’t do chicken chicks vent sexing. It’s too much at the rate we are hatching chicks

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I think niacin issues usually display in angel wing and leg issues. I was told if they have access to grass it's very uncommon for them to have niacin issues. I chose to graze them really young instead of adding yeast to their feed because it's natural and I was also told that apparently it's not uncommon for ducks and geese to have allergic reactions to the yeast! It's like 1 in 100 have reactions to it.
I still consider myself a novice with waterfowl even though I've hatched goslings since last year.

Goslings are very delicate to toxins too. Is it possible she ate something she shouldn't have? My friend lost two Goslings after a heavy rain a couple months ago because it washed some lawn treatment into their yard from a neighbor. :(
It could be but I really doubt it. I haven’t sprayed anything on my property in seven years. But maybe runoff?

Back
Top Bottom