June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Your quail hatched?? Are those quail??

Today is lockdown for my chicken eggs. When I wake up in the morning I gotta candle for movement (I still won’t remove if I don’t see movement 😂). I haven’t been candling them as I should. Just a quick check to see if the egg is getting darker which all were fertilized and growing. Now to check if they’re alive and moving
Yes they did!! Still hatching too actually. Have 6 more eggs still last I checked haha they started hatching yesterday haha I actually think the first ones hatched overnight and I just didn’t discover them until yesterday morning but yeah haha and yes they are quail 😂🤣

And I didn’t candle mine like at all this time 😂🤣 barely even checked it hahah kinda just set and forget this time 😂🤣 I candled at lockdown and took out 6 early quitters but that’s really it. Maybe once towards the beginning lol I couldn’t see movement in some but left them haha

This will help you. Someone on here was having issues with an incubator and none of us have heard of it... maybe you can help :fl

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-w-humidity-on-lyon-turn-x6.1382318/#post-22715146
The readings are about what should be expected to be seen....if the wet bulb wick gets dirty it will affect the readings, as well as the wick drying out, will affect the readings.

If the viewing windows or the inside top and sidewalls are accumulating condensation then the air is at saturation...the air can not hold any more moisture and therefore it condenses on the viewing panes and sidewalls of the incubator. This is where the importance of an accurate, calibrated hygrometer is imperative.

Yes they did!! Still hatching too actually. Have 6 more eggs still last I checked haha they started hatching yesterday haha I actually think the first ones hatched overnight and I just didn’t discover them until yesterday morning but yeah haha and yes they are quail 😂🤣

And I didn’t candle mine like at all this time 😂🤣 barely even checked it hahah kinda just set and forget this time 😂🤣 I candled at lockdown and took out 6 early quitters but that’s really it. Maybe once towards the beginning lol I couldn’t see movement in some but left them haha
Sometimes I think messing with them less is better.

Final count (I'm pretty sure, ) from 13 eggs, eleven Cream Legbar chicks, one egg culled at day 18, one egg still in the 'bator on day 21 (today) but it's quiet with no signs of a pip. Considering I've never done this before, I'm pretty happy.

Attachments

• 20200605_065715.jpg
    20200605_065715.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 3
I am in a good place chicken wise at the moment. I have hatched a bunch, I have more another week out + but I think I am mellowing, I don't have eggs in the mail, all my chicks are enjoying just being chickens, and they are also friendly. My big hens are laying. I am planning for next year already. But good for now.

Where is everyone else, content yet, anxious, still wanting?
We are taking the next step. Two years ago we got our first flock from TSC. We built a mansion of a coop for the eight chickens we intended to get. We ended up with 30 chickens! 12 of them ended up being roosters and we found homes for all but 2. Last year, 1 of our roos got frostbite and beat up pretty badly by the other roo. He pulled through and we reduced our flock down to just the him and 8 hens.
This morning we are gathering all of our adults and rehoming the entire flock. We have our first hatch that are days old and we will be selling them also. In two weeks I will begin incubating Marans, Legbars, and Bielefelders. We want to take this hobby to the next level and see where it takes us. I used to breed dogs but that ended when our son died. I've always loved animals and nature. It's in my blood to propagate life. I'm very excited about our next step. Chickens really are the gateway to homesteading. Eventually we will get ducks and who knows... maybe goats? Miniature cows? We shall see. I am content.

Back
Top Bottom