June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Sometimes I think messing with them less is better.
Ugh me too. I candle maybe once before lockdown now simply by putting the light on them in the turner and removing an obvious clear. Candle at lockdown and I’ve been away from the house for most of my hatches this year.

I DROPPED an egg on day 20 this year candling it. 😳 it ended up hatching with assist. That’s the last ive really handled eggs this whole year. I thought I would hate it but I love it. Set it, forget it, and I’m having even better luck.

My Legbar, langshan, and Swedish flower eggs arrived yesterday. :) a day later than they were supposed to but oh well. These ones had a rougher trip than the last, one detached air cell, a couple wonky saddles... but not too terrible. I set these ones upright in a carton and I’m tipping the whole bator. We’ll see how they do compared to the first batch that are on their sides in the turner in the other bator. 🤷🏼‍♀️ There’s a gap on the one end to make room for the turner rod so I don’t bust any eggs. Lol. They sent me an extra Legbar and langshan egg too!
E31E8DEF-9056-46C3-8A2C-AF34AA9BE916.jpeg

The other batch that are due in just under a week (the 10th) are doing well, everyone is bouncing and alive in there.
And quail eggs are ordered, should be here by next week. Once the other bator is emptied after hatch and I can pop them in there.

How tall is too tall for a quail cage that isn’t a flight cage? I have a nice 8’ L x 2 W x 2.5’ H cage enclosure I was going to use but wasn’t sure if that was tall enough they could fly up and themselves... 🤔 lol. I also need to come up with a house for the end for them but that can wait a bit... lol. I mean. I’m not really planning on keeping any but that may change once they’ve hatched... haha.

Ugh me too. I candle maybe once before lockdown now simply by putting the light on them in the turner and removing an obvious clear. Candle at lockdown and I’ve been away from the house for most of my hatches this year.

I DROPPED an egg on day 20 this year candling it. 😳 it ended up hatching with assist. That’s the last ive really handled eggs this whole year. I thought I would hate it but I love it. Set it, forget it, and I’m having even better luck.
Yeah that’s how I’ve been. I’m shocked how many hatch with being less hands on.

So here is a strange question.... Because I Don't seem to be able to keep my hands Off the eggs... :rolleyes:
It looks like I might have a quitter or two. Going on day 13 now but a few eggs (same hen) are hard to see into because of extra pigment and speckles. They have been hard to see from day one but I've seen obvious movement at times and though harder to see, some veins.

Now it's getting even harder to see and one looks not have progressed past day 9 maybe and I can't see veins anymore. I'm not going to remove them yet because I'm very unsure, but if they are indeed quitters at what point should I be concerned about an egg exploding?
(2 infertiles were removed and all other 20 eggs have had development and movement up until now)

Do the exploders tend to be eggs that never had development at all and just go icky then ickier whole time until about day 20 when they just pop?
It's happened plenty at the old farm when someone started laying in the rafters of the barn but did not actually set on the eggs...:sick.....but I know it also takes a little while.

edit: typos

Last edited:
I have 5 Buff English Orpingtons and 1 Isabella Leghorn developing from the first shipment! It's not great, but I admit it's more than I expected to see! The development looks odd to me on a few of them, almost like I've been incubating in a vertical turner even though they're in a horizontal turner but if they make it to hatch I'm a happy camper!

6-4-20 Day 5 Shipped Buff English Orpingtons (1).jpg
6-4-20 Day 5 Shipped Buff English Orpingtons (2).jpg
6-4-20 Day 5 Shipped Buff English Orpingtons (3).jpg
6-4-20 Day 5 Shipped Buff English Orpingtons (4).jpg

So here is a strange question.... Because I Don't seem to be able to keep my hands Off the eggs... :rolleyes:
It looks like I might have a quitter or two. Going on day 13 now but a few eggs (same hen) are hard to see into because of extra pigment and extra speckles. They have been hard to see from day one but at times I've seen obvious movement at times and though harder to see, some veins.

Now it's getting even harder to see and one looks not have progressed past day 9 maybe and I can't see veins anymore. I'm not going to remove them yet because I'm very unsure, but if they are indeed quitters at what point should I be concerned about an egg exploding?
(2 infertiles were removed and all other 20 eggs have had development and movement up until now)

Do the exploders tend to be eggs that never had development at all and just go icky then ickier whole time until about day 20 when they just pop?
It's happened plenty at the old farm when someone started laying in the rafters of the barn but did not actually set on the eggs...:sick.....but I know it also takes a little while.

Exploding eggs aren't super common. It's a specific type of bacteria that causes it but NOBODY wants to be on the receiving end, lol. One benefit for those of us that check our eggs often is that you will without a doubt be able to smell a bad egg before it explodes. The smell is undeniable and sometimes you will see a weird oozing from the egg prior to this happening as well. I've had close calls but (knock on wood) I've never had one explode in my incubator. Not to mention, last month I didn't touch any of my eggs, barely checked them at all and I had the worst hatches of my hatching experience last month, lol, so it's probably just chance. I wash my hands every time because handling eggs, keep a folded towel in front of the incubator for a soft padding, and I'm careful to be gentle with them, but I've had plenty of 90-100% hatches fiddling with the eggs.

Exploding eggs aren't super common. It's a specific type of bacteria that causes it but NOBODY wants to be on the receiving end, lol. One benefit for those of us that check our eggs often is that you will without a doubt be able to smell a bad egg before it explodes. The smell is undeniable and sometimes you will see a weird oozing from the egg prior to this happening as well. I've had close calls but (knock on wood) I've never had one explode in my incubator. Not to mention, last month I didn't touch any of my eggs, barely checked them at all and I had the worst hatches of my hatching experience last month, lol, so it's probably just chance. I wash my hands every time because handling eggs, keep a folded towel in front of the incubator for a soft padding, and I'm careful to be gentle with them, but I've had plenty of 90-100% hatches fiddling with the eggs.
Oh, yeah...I had forgotten that I would smell them first. Thanks for the reminder. It is indeed a smell one will never forget. 😆
So far everything smells just fine. Clean hands and careful handling...check.
*sigh of relief* I guess getting into the "too murky to see" days are making me a little twitchy.

I'm super concerned about the 5 pure Australorp eggs because now that Mr Roo has the entire flock under his care he's turned on the Aussie hen (whom he previously worshiped and who was the flock queen) and hates her now. I might even have to remove her.
Bird logic...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom