June Hatch-A-Long

My chick flock got cocci. We lost about half of them, but the other half seem strong. We have them meds in their water and herbal boosters in their feed. I’m hoping it’s over with on the deaths. I lost over 15 chicks... I will NEVER get chicks from anyone no matter if they’re a customer or not. That’s how this all started.

My chick flock got cocci. We lost about half of them, but the other half seem strong. We have them meds in their water and herbal boosters in their feed. I’m hoping it’s over with on the deaths. I lost over 15 chicks... I will NEVER get chicks from anyone no matter if they’re a customer or not. That’s how this all started.

I'm so sorry! That's the worst! :hugs

Yeah I believe from what @jolenesdad has told me there are different strains and the chicks probably introduced it to my chicks that didn’t have immunity to that strain
I’m so glad things are on the mend. Coccidiosis takes hold SO fast but also the treatments can turn things around equally as fast.

I know how hard you care for Them and how hard you probably want to be on yourself too. Don’t. Identifying coccidiosis in CHICKS without losing several is next to IMPOSSIBLE. Their poop is so dang small and they’d usually be dead because they’re so small by the time you even see blood in poop. Lethargic behavior is a clue but sometimes chicks are just lethargic. They puff up anyway and shoot they fall asleep standing up. Honestly you probably saved a potentially very large outbreak by culling those BCMs. I would not have even done that and looking back that was a hugely correct thing to do. I give chicks far too many chances to Reverse course and knowing this is coccidiosis all they would have done is pooped more and spread it more.

I’m so sorry it’s been so rough. On the plus side the way most coccidiosis meds work they allow the chicks and chickens to build immunities while protecting them so your flock should have immunities to this soon.

I’m so glad things are on the mend. Coccidiosis takes hold SO fast but also the treatments can turn things around equally as fast.

I know how hard you care for Them and how hard you probably want to be on yourself too. Don’t. Identifying coccidiosis in CHICKS without losing several is next to IMPOSSIBLE. Their poop is so dang small and they’d usually be dead because they’re so small by the time you even see blood in poop. Lethargic behavior is a clue but sometimes chicks are just lethargic. They puff up anyway and shoot they fall asleep standing up. Honestly you probably saved a potentially very large outbreak by culling those BCMs. I would not have even done that and looking back that was a hugely correct thing to do. I give chicks far too many chances to Reverse course and knowing this is coccidiosis all they would have done is pooped more and spread it more.

I’m so sorry it’s been so rough. On the plus side the way most coccidiosis meds work they allow the chicks and chickens to build immunities while protecting them so your flock should have immunities to this soon.
I’d assume my older chickens and quail are okay... my hubs is taking care of the larger flock and I’m doing the chicks. That way I’m not spreading something. Only way I can see my chickens is through the fence 😭

Hi All, it’s been a crazy few weeks and I fell off of this thread. I wanted to share a quick update of how our hatches went:
1) Broody chicken: I think that Naruto hatched 4 OEs that were BCMx Ameraucana but only one of blue. I’d love for it to be a pullet but it acts pretty bold... Also hatched 5 BCM and 2 back cross OEs, the line that my DD is trying to create. Only one of those made it, but I think it may be a pullet! Chicks are almost three weeks old now and we are giving them part of the day in the run, still separates from most of the flock. Naruto is head hen and could protect them, but it’s so nice to see her relaxed and not constantly stressed like she was last year. We need to open it all up soon though.

2) Incubator guineas: we set 42 eggs and had... 6 clears and early quitters? These were accidentally hatched (first few hatched at 25 days!) upright in the turner and that didn’t go well. Keets got caught between turner and incubator wall, then we had multiple with spraddle leg. Never hatching in the turner again, even if an egg did pip! We got pearl, purple, lavender, and lavender pied keets but no slate or violet, the colors I was hoping for.

3) Broody guineas: I could write a book about this whole thing... One guinea hen got sick just as keets were hatching! I was sure it was bird flu or mycoplasma and was freaking out. A week later necropsy results showed some reproductive tract infection then sepsis. Viceroy hatches 4 of the 6 eggs I’d left her, all pearl. One other egg I opened and the keet was malpositioned (Head between legs) and the last egg I never found... :sick Viceroy did so well, so I felt terrible that two hens stole her babies. On a major stormy day, a huge black rat snake entered the coop door and caused major chaos, resulting in two dead keets (one eaten and one flew into a bad spot in the coop), broodies to abandon nests etc. Two keets remain and are 2 weeks old and doing well. I only have one broody hen left after the snake, and I bought 12 expensive eggs (slate, Violet, white that I wanted to add) when I had three still broody, before the snake business.

Attachments

• A03B23F7-0202-49EB-A79C-E51A01317960.jpeg
    A03B23F7-0202-49EB-A79C-E51A01317960.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 4
  • 06BAE100-6751-4D53-AF0D-B8F41DB7FB88.jpeg
    06BAE100-6751-4D53-AF0D-B8F41DB7FB88.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 0A176519-BCDB-40B8-86FB-57A627E299C1.jpeg
    0A176519-BCDB-40B8-86FB-57A627E299C1.jpeg
    914.2 KB · Views: 3
I had some of my hens eggs that looked fertile, I put them in incubator, then I got one more carton from the health food store I have hatched before. The eggs from my hens were not fertile, but now I am hatching these "unplanned hatching" store eggs. Below are the store eggs, minus one because it had a huge crack.
ea.PNG

from left to right... 3 White spitzenhauben eggs, 3 brown, 2 tan and 3 EE. Nice combo. I chose this carton because of the white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom