June Hatch-A-Long

I finally did it! I hatched and grew marans to laying age that actually lay as dark as the eggs they hatched from....Woohoo! All of my pullets from this year are now laying.
1EBB2233-6551-40B9-AD80-11556D865FD2.jpeg

I finally did it! I hatched and grew marans to laying age that actually lay as dark as the eggs they hatched from....Woohoo! All of my pullets from this year are now laying.
View attachment 2215871
I don’t think I’ll get to this point with mine. I have 3 older ones, but unsure if they’re male or female.

My old trusty black Australorp decided to hatch some chicks :) she must have known I gave up on the incubators.

No liege fighters survived. The last live chick had to be put down. It’s intestines fell out and not repairable. Potluck eggs were about 70% hatch rate. Got a blue copper and black copper maran out of that batch.

Back to normal life without babies for a while! Well after the broody does her thing. Pavlovskaya mixes in there somewhere 🥰

Happy hatching!
073BDF0F-864F-4548-A8A0-D2BD60FB62C3.jpeg

My old trusty black Australorp decided to hatch some chicks :) she must have known I gave up on the incubators.

No liege fighters survived. The last live chick had to be put down. It’s intestines fell out and not repairable. Potluck eggs were about 70% hatch rate. Got a blue copper and black copper maran out of that batch.

Back to normal life without babies for a while! Well after the broody does her thing. Pavlovskaya mixes in there somewhere 🥰

Happy hatching!
View attachment 2216195
Baby Emus!?:love

Very slow hatch day today. I have two external PIPS from early this morning (Hawaii time), making very little progress. Beaks are visible and they are opening and closing as they should be, but not much else. I can also hear them peep. I will give them 24 hours before stepping in (it's been 15 and 13 hours so far) which I am comfortable with, monitoring them for any signs of distress. Long night ahead!
Question I have for you lovely, knowledgeable people is, what about the internal PIPS? When do you all step in and make a starter hole? The internal PIPS on the other 3 eggs (the lone Marans egg I can not tell well enough) have been there since at least 3:00 AM when I saw them anyway, could have been longer. Reading on the forum, varies from 24 to 48 hours, when others say they will make a starter hole.
Advice?
Thanks!:love

Last edited:
Absolutely devastated. I decided to opt for “assisting” the last 4 eggs (even though they looked gone after candling and float test).

None of them had gotten through the internal membrane. they looked fully developed and I didn’t break the membrane open on all of them, but the Brahma looked like it must have died recently. It was in a perfect position, and the blood supply was still in tact in the membrane. But just no movement breathing or anything.

Is there a picture of what a shrink wrapped chick looks like? Could they have shrink wrapped before internal pipping?

going to go cuddle the baby brahmas that did hatch, and also make a trip down to the guy I got them from for some more eggs

Im all set up for lots of chicks. Lol

Absolutely devastated. I decided to opt for “assisting” the last 4 eggs (even though they looked gone after candling and float test).

None of them had gotten through the internal membrane. they looked fully developed and I didn’t break the membrane open on all of them, but the Brahma looked like it must have died recently. It was in a perfect position, and the blood supply was still in tact in the membrane. But just no movement breathing or anything.

Is there a picture of what a shrink wrapped chick looks like? Could they have shrink wrapped before internal pipping?

going to go cuddle the baby brahmas that did hatch, and also make a trip down to the guy I got them from for some more eggs

Im all set up for lots of chicks. Lol
So sorry for your losses. I know how heartbreaking this must be.
😞

Back
Top Bottom