JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

Pics
I did clean out the lockdown incubator and took out the egg turner in the regular incubator. There is only one egg in the lockdown-incubator now. I took out the two in the lockdown dated 6/7/19. I'm certain they are dead. I candled them and saw no motion at all. I'm not sure what happened to them, but I don't want them to rot in the incubators. The egg left in the lockdown incubator is internally pipped, no external pip yet. The two remaining eggs in the regular incubator (dated 6/13/19 and 6/17/19) I will just rotate by hand. I know at this point they technically can survive without rotating, but just to be sure...

I did clean out the lockdown incubator and took out the egg turner in the regular incubator. There is only one egg in the lockdown-incubator now. I took out the two in the lockdown dated 6/7/19. I'm certain they are dead. I candled them and saw no motion at all. I'm not sure what happened to them, but I don't want them to rot in the incubators. The egg left in the lockdown incubator is internally pipped, no external pip yet. The two remaining eggs in the regular incubator (dated 6/13/19 and 6/17/19) I will just rotate by hand. I know at this point they technically can survive without rotating, but just to be sure...
You might open up the deceased eggs from the top, where the aircell is, go down to the membrane and open to confirm no response. You might even want to do an egg-topsy to try to figure out why they died!

You might open up the deceased eggs from the top, where the aircell is, go down to the membrane and open to confirm no response. You might even want to do an egg-topsy to try to figure out why they died!

I opened up the egg shell and poked on the bird inside.. no response. I'm too much of a chicken to open it all up.

Whew! Long day. Our final tally:

9 shipped Serama eggs from eBay
7 developed and made it to lockdown
1 dis
6 hatched and are still alive and kicking
Lots of black and yellow chicks and a grey/silver, I think. Hard to tell just yet. They are a little bigger than the ones I hatched earlier this week.

This was my hardest hatch yet. I had to help every single chick out of their shell, which I’d sworn off doing. For most, I had to get them from pip to hatch. Some tried to zip vertically. Most pipped and quit. I almost waited because it hadn’t been 24hrs, but I’m glad that I didn’t. There was a whole lot of wrong positioning. All had absorbed veins. All had absorbed yolks.so, that part was easy breezy. Anyway, no idea what happened with this clutch of eggs!

They are still in the incubator waiting for the last 2 to recuperate. Live cam of their antics is still going until I take them out. https://www.ustream.tv/channel/ZsS7aAhynNg Pics once they’re ready to come out!

Last edited:
Whew! Long day. Our final tally:

9 shipped Serama eggs from eBay
7 developed and made it to lockdown
1 dis
6 hatched and are still alive and kicking
Lots of black and yellow chicks and a grey/silver, I think. Hard to tell just yet. They are a little bigger than the ones I hatched earlier this week.

This was my hardest hatch yet. I had to help every single chick out of their shell, which I’d sworn off doing. For most, I had to get them from pip to hatch. Some tried to zip vertically. Most pipped and quit. I almost waited because it hadn’t been 24hrs, but I’m glad that I didn’t. There was a whole lot of wrong positioning. All had absorbed veins. All had absorbed yolks.so, that part was easy breezy. Anyway, no idea what happened with this clutch of eggs!

They are still in the incubator waiting for the last 2 to recuperate. Live cam of their antics is still going until I take them out. https://www.ustream.tv/channel/ZsS7aAhynNg Pics once they’re ready to come out!
What a great hatch for shipped eggs - sounds like you intervened perfectly!!!! Congratulations! :celebrate

I love how on your livestream, one of the chicks keeps nodding off, then jerking itself awake! Reminds me of my hubby in church... :lau

What a great hatch for shipped eggs - sounds like you intervened perfectly!!!! Congratulations! :celebrate

I love how on your livestream, one of the chicks keeps nodding off, then jerking itself awake! Reminds me of my hubby in church... :lau

LOL! They are a lot of fun to watch. There are not Weeble Wobbles, they definitely fall down lol.

Today everything worked out for the best, and I’m grateful. Nutri-drench is my new go to at hatch. Lately, I am finding that chicks rebound quicker than with Sav-a-chick electrolytes.

I think I’ll move the little tykes to the brooder soon.

Back
Top Bottom