Pics

rebeccabrown72

Chirping
Apr 15, 2018
Hi all! New to chickens this year, and excited about our little flock of 6. My family (husband, two daughters, a baby on the way and a dog) and I got our chickens in April the day the hatched. We build the coop/run from reclaimed materials and live the inner city of Columbus, OH! They have free range a few hours a day.
chicks-6.jpg.jpeg

IMG_6948.jpg

We have 6. Most of which have their own problems, so if you have suggestions for us, comment here:

Junia - exchequer. She was the smallest and easiest for my 4 year old to handle for a while until about August when she started being more aggressive. She's now jumped up at a few kids and hasn't started laying yet... while we love her, she's our problem girl.

Wendell Berry - lakeshore egger (olive egg layer breed developed at Meyer Hatcher in Polk, OH). She was our first layer (early August) and is the resident rooster (no roosters within the city limits here). She's a tad aggressive, but has stopped coming after me (still goes after the Littles).

Heidi Boss - golden buff. She is suuuuper sweet, but doesn't like to be picked up much. She hasn't started laying yet, which is a little concerning.

Fluffy - easter egger. She's laying beautiful teal eggs but is on the bottom of the pecking order and has been getting her little back feathers picked off by our next lady...

Daisy May - golden laced wyandotte. She's been laying for a while. She's the hardest to catch but is friendly toward humans... not so with Fluffy. For some reason she's pecked the back fo that little lady to a bald spot about 2 inches wide :(. We've tried giving them entertainment and salt in her water... to no avail.

Origen - barred rock. She's been my favorite since the beginning. Sweet, likes to be held, no aggression and not too shy. She's been laying for a while as well. Only issue is Daisy May did peck at her neck a bit. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

I'm a little concerned about two ladies aren't laying yet and they're about 26 weeks old... Our chicken food provider encouraged us to switch to layer feed a few weeks after the first chicken started laying, but maybe that is causing problems for our non-layers?

Like I said - any advice or ideas are welcome to help us with our woes!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!
It is safe to feed a layer type feed to chickens near lay.
Are you sure the two that aren't laying are female?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops
There are a couple of links in my signature that are worth the short read.
BYC has an APP

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Some chickens are a lot slow maturing than others. I have seen some lay as late as 9 months. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

FARMER-CONNIE-GREAT-INTRO-F.gif
Hi all! New to chickens this year, and excited about our little flock of 6. My family (husband, two daughters, a baby on the way and a dog) and I got our chickens in April the day the hatched. We build the coop/run from reclaimed materials and live the inner city of Columbus, OH! They have free range a few hours a day.
chicks-6-jpg-jpeg.1564254

img_6948-jpg.1564266

We have 6. Most of which have their own problems, so if you have suggestions for us, comment here:

Junia - exchequer. She was the smallest and easiest for my 4 year old to handle for a while until about August when she started being more aggressive. She's now jumped up at a few kids and hasn't started laying yet... while we love her, she's our problem girl.

Wendell Berry - lakeshore egger (olive egg layer breed developed at Meyer Hatcher in Polk, OH). She was our first layer (early August) and is the resident rooster (no roosters within the city limits here). She's a tad aggressive, but has stopped coming after me (still goes after the Littles).

Heidi Boss - golden buff. She is suuuuper sweet, but doesn't like to be picked up much. She hasn't started laying yet, which is a little concerning.

Fluffy - easter egger. She's laying beautiful teal eggs but is on the bottom of the pecking order and has been getting her little back feathers picked off by our next lady...

Daisy May - golden laced wyandotte. She's been laying for a while. She's the hardest to catch but is friendly toward humans... not so with Fluffy. For some reason she's pecked the back fo that little lady to a bald spot about 2 inches wide :(. We've tried giving them entertainment and salt in her water... to no avail.

Origen - barred rock. She's been my favorite since the beginning. Sweet, likes to be held, no aggression and not too shy. She's been laying for a while as well. Only issue is Daisy May did peck at her neck a bit. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

I'm a little concerned about two ladies aren't laying yet and they're about 26 weeks old... Our chicken food provider encouraged us to switch to layer feed a few weeks after the first chicken started laying, but maybe that is causing problems for our non-layers?

Like I said - any advice or ideas are welcome to help us with our woes!
balloons.gif smiley_emoticons_charly_megaphon.gif FARMER-CONNIE-4235435433.gif balloons.gif

hhal2018.gif

Back
Top Bottom