Just a quick warning for all you dog lovers out there...

Karrie13

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Minnesota
Just a quick warning for all you dog lovers out there. A friend of mine had a 10 month old male yellow lab puppy that she let outside the other night to go to the bathroom. Well when it was time to come in he didn’t want to, he just wanted to play so she left him outside for a while. She went to bring him into the house a little while later and when she called his name he didn’t come home like he normally does. She searched and called him for 2 hours then her husband came home and looked for a while too.
The next morning their neighbor came over and told them that their dog was in his dog house, they were relieved until they went there. He was in the dog house and the neighbor’s dog was outside the dog house with her cable inside. They looked in and saw the cable wrapped around their puppy’s leg and abdomen. The leg was swollen and cold. They rushed him to the vet to find out that he had inoperable damage to his backend as well as internal damage. He was peacefully laid to rest.
I know many people tie up their dogs I just wanted to get this message out there so that people will hopefully be more vigilant when tying up their pets. Make sure if you have more than one tied they can’t reach each other, loose pets are monitored, and all safety precautions are taken. Better yet put up a fence or kennel. I also tie out my house dogs to go to the bathroom but they are never out there for long. I am now thinking I need another kennel or two.

*This isn’t meant to slam anyone who tie’s out their dog, just some information so please keep it friendly.

i take my dog out myself and walk him. the few times i tried to tie him out he nearly hung himself but figured out how to slip out of his collar both times. and if i had to tie him out i am usually working in the yard and keeping an eye on him. i no longer leave him outside by himself since he gets himself into trouble.

I 'm in Arkansas where the mentality seems to be...." I have an empty chain outside..., I need a dog. I HATE to see a dog on a chain. There are exceptions, I'm talking about the people that make the poor dog live on the end of the chain. The owner & dog need to switch places for a while. If all they do is take food & water out & then leave, GET RID OF THE DOG!
somad.gif
There, I feel better.

I'm not sure if it's just our county, or statewide - but we passed a LAW that makes it ILLEGAL to tie a dog to a stationary object for more than 3 consecutive hours. They can be on a run, just not a stationary object.

Oh, no! That is tragic!
hugs.gif
for your friend! I'm sure the dogs where just playing and the one on the chain may have heard them calling and ran to the end of its chain unaware it was wrapped around the pup. Dogs on chains are accustom to that pulling on the chain. That's so sad. Here's another hug for your friend.
hugs.gif

Makes me glad we put our money into fencing the yard as soon as we were done putting in the pasture fencing. That's so sad, it's always the hardest lessons that teach us the most though. Unfortunately they are the hardest lessons for a reason.

Not going to jump into a dog chaining debate, but we also have seen the damage it can cause.

Back in the summer we were at a friend's barn riding and their dog was tied up 15' away. He strangled to death and nobody saw or heard a thing.

Quote:
It's a CA state law. I think it is a good law too since too many dogs get tied up to short ropes/chains. What the point of having a dog if it has limited movement for a majority of a day? At least a kennel allows for movement (and is actually safer for the dog as well!).

Karrie, I am so sorry to hear about to your friend's dog!
hit.gif
hugs.gif
How tragic!

How sad...

I moved here (TN) 13 months ago from FL. I bought my little house online...sight unseen, on a very low budget.
The only mistake I made was not moving here sooner.

Anyway I told the agent that I'd consider houses with only an outhouse, but it had to have a fence.
Then I had three Pugs...I lost one to congestive heart failure while he was in doggy intensive care at the vet on 12/16.
I'd had him for 12 years...he was a rescue. I could not function for days.

When I was here only two weeks my daughter brought her Chihuahua to me. I had four for awhile, now I have three again.
None of them are outside dogs but go out to 'go'...One pug is also over 12, one was 7 in December, and the Chi is the same age.
Even with the fence I'm overprotective...when they go out, I stand and watch them...it is so cold lately. They are not out there long.

In the spring, summer, and fall they are like regular dogs...they are outside a lot, but so am I. They get along with all the chickens.
In all their entire lives they have never been tied. Pug's heads are smaller then their necks and they need harnesses anyway.
I had to have a fence...and happy ending...my little house also has a bathroom!

Terry in TN

Back
Top Bottom