Peskypigeon

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Hello everybirdie,
Technically it doesn’t matter as we’re going to confirm with the vet tomorrow, but I was curious on your thoughts first.

This is my baby “fantail”/homer. I’m 89% sure she’s a girl, but just as my first pigeon, she’s fiesty and flirts like a boy. Actually, even moreso than my first pigeon, who I thought was a boy until she laid eggs at two years old!

Now that i know better, I look for more specific signs. But as time goes on, she really does behave even more masculinely than Kanta did. So I gave up! I’m making the vet do it.
I love her either way, but I was curious what you may think the sex is. And... breed? Is she a mutt? Her tail is too small to be a true fantail, and she’s built like a robust Homer. Thank you.

Attachments

• 8B551BBB-1FD7-4898-B8F6-3482EFA45A62.jpeg
    8B551BBB-1FD7-4898-B8F6-3482EFA45A62.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 9BABDC66-6ADB-419A-9B06-68345EC7A01C.jpeg
    9BABDC66-6ADB-419A-9B06-68345EC7A01C.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 10
  • AF945D00-EB35-4C9F-8CB8-F7EDE1E8F0ED.jpeg
    AF945D00-EB35-4C9F-8CB8-F7EDE1E8F0ED.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 10
I'm curious as to how the veterinarian is going to determine gender.
Me too- I asked how much the DNA testing would be, and they’re claiming they can simply give her a check up and figure it out. I wonder how much more accurate It will be than me... but at least it’ll be a vet?

Pigeons sometimes have problems with gender ID. I'll be curious what parameters the vet uses and how much he/she charges.
All I have to gauge is when my first pigeon had difficulty laying her first eggs, they charged $180 for both giving her fluids so they would come out, and the pain medication she took for a week or so.

All I have to gauge is when my first pigeon had difficulty laying her first eggs, they charged $180 for both giving her fluids so they would come out, and the pain medication she took for a week or so.
Your veterinarian has large mortgage payments, and is draining your wallet dry. :gig
I have had much success determining sex of adult pigeons, by feeling their pelvic bones. If there was a gap, then a hen. If no gap, then a cock.
I was thought this trick by an individual that worked at a live poultry store. They also sold pigeons. I did purchase pigeons from them, and took them live.
The way I stumbled on that is,,,,,,,, One day I purchased 2 beautiful pigeons. When I got them home, and let them loose in my loft, they started to have a 3 way fight with my one male I had there. That told me that the 2 new ones were both male.
The person that sold me those did say I could exchange them if they were not of correct sex.
When I returned with them I met this individual, and he checked, and agreed they were both cocks. I quickly asked how did he know. That is when he gave me hands on lesson.
I assume since he processed countless pigeons in his time, did notice a difference in the anatomy of male and female pigeons.
Maybe your Veterinarian will choose to feel the difference in the pelvic area.:idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Your veterinarian has large mortgage payments, and is draining your wallet dry. :gig
I have had much success determining sex of adult pigeons, by feeling their pelvic bones. If there was a gap, then a hen. If no gap, then a cock.
I was thought this trick by an individual that worked at a live poultry store. They also sold pigeons. I did purchase pigeons from them, and took them live.
The way I stumbled on that is,,,,,,,, One day I purchased 2 beautiful pigeons. When I got them home, and let them loose in my loft, they started to have a 3 way fight with my one male I had there. That told me that the 2 new ones were both male.
The person that sold me those did say I could exchange them if they were not of correct sex.
When I returned with them I met this individual, and he checked, and agreed they were both cocks. I quickly asked how did he know. That is when he gave me hands on lesson.
I assume since he processed countless pigeons in his time, did notice a difference in the anatomy of male and female pigeons.
Maybe your Veterinarian will choose to feel the difference in the pelvic area.:idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
I would have paid any amount of money for Kanta; she wouldn’t have had the egg on her own (too skinny and first time) and it was getting scary. I only have the one exotic vet in the area, you see. I did try all the tactics, but because she’s a baby she hasn’t laid an egg, and her area is very narrow. I’m sure I won’t be surprised the outcome, but I figured I could know for sure. Thank you!

Conclusion: she is in fact a girl! Look at me, good at sexing pigeons even at 2 months old. One of the nurses thought she would be a boy (because again, she acts like one), so I’m quite proud. I just get very fiesty flirty girls.

ugh. Not excited to deal with eggs again though.

Back
Top Bottom