Just got 4 new hens and noticed they are debeaked .

Great idea on the nipple waterer's , im gonna pick one up and try that. And i can see eating is easir for them now that i switched to a deep pan and keep it very full, thanks for all the suggestions and information so we can keep them healthy and happy. I hope they settle down over time and arent so afraid of us, they flee to a corner or run in the hen house as soon as they see us, where our other hens and Roo come right to us and are so friendly.

Took in a debeaked 1-year-old last fall. We were bothered by the appearance initially but have gotten used to it. This Production Red was scheduled for culling as egg farms do with birds of her age. She is healthy, happy and still laying well. No special treatments necessary.

I can deer hunt, dove, quail, phesant hunt, or hunt any legal game for that matter, and never let my emotions overtake me while doing it.
With that said, I have a Black Australorp with cross beak, and I've trimmed her beak back twice now since I've had her. I'm doing it to try and improve her quality of life, and help her to open her mouth wider to eat better but I FEEL HORRIBLE when I do it. The first time I trimmed it, she was little, and hollered loudly when I cut it. The second time, she struggled, but didn't make a lot of noise.
I just don't think I could ever trim beaks on a daily basis to keep chickens from pecking each other. I do find it extremely cruel.

Quote:
Yay I'm glad to see that they're settling in so well! Don't worry about them warming up to you. The other birds always following you for treats will be too tempting for them. Chickens will approach anything for treats. We're all just very lucky foxes havn't figured this out
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom