Just got sickened!

Crack N' Egg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Flemington, NJ
Hey Everyone!

I had not a clue as to where to post this, but I thought it very interesting and wondered how many of you knew this.

Now most of us, if not all of us on BYC have 'organic eggs'. I have been doing some extensive research on organic eggs at supermarkets. So most people who do not have access to fresh farm eggs will opt to pay the extra money to buy "organic" at the grocery store thinking that they are the healthier and chemical free option.

Well, I really got my eye's opened wide with what I found out. Because of the regulations that the United States have in the food industry, organic eggs are washed thoroughly in chemical mixtures before they are packaged and shipped off. Now I was always told that you shouldn't wash an egg because it has a protective layer on it that prevents bacteria from entering the porous shell. With my eggs, I only wipe the messy ones off gently with a dry paper towel before I sell them. If they are exceptionally messy I save those for myself. I even have customers that ask me NOT to clean the eggs off.

I'm really shocked by this and am thankful that we have the ability to have our own chickens and veggie garden to sustain those aspects of our meals.
Really makes you think before you grab something at your supermarket.

ep.gif

Very interesting. Federal regulations always seem to be in conflict with each other don't they? And with some sections of the new health care law we may not be allowed to sell our "farm fresh" or "free range" eggs because they are not "certified", "approved safe" and "properly processed" (think pasturized milk). Gee thanks "Big Brother"!

Larry

Did you also know that the "sell by" date stamped on the carton is six weeks from the date they are packaged but gives no indication when the eggs were laid.

The bottom line is, even if you think you are getting organic you don't know when they were layed, packaged, or what conditions they encountered during those process's and during shipping.

Don't even get me started on the Raw Milk issue. That angers me on a daily basis. US people are suppose to be free...free to make their own choices, then why does the government rule over that with almost everything. It's not that the government is trying to protect it's people, it's that the government needs to take money from us in every aspect. They don't like people being truly independent.

Disgusting!!!

The only way that you know what your food has been through is to grow it yourself. You have to think for yourself when it comes to what the government and pharmacutical companies tell you is safe. I personally think that Americans are lulled into a false sense of security when it comes to our health.

I am not a huge fan of "The Government", but these procedures and rules are in place to protect the public. Someone doesn't just sit back in a room and say, "How can we stick our noses further into people's business?" The rules are there for our protection even if they seem intrusive and overzealous.

The egg washing thing- Yes, eggs are washed. They have to be. Even a speck of feces on an egg makes it unlawful to sell. Period. This is for our protection because there are idiots out there that mishandle and store eggs improperly thereby risking their own health and the health of everyone who eats in their kitchen. In this overly litigious society we are part of it would be business suicide to risk poisoning someone just because a few people want eggs that came fresh from a hen's vent with no washing. Why cater to that small minority when most people are just satisfied that their food appears sanitary when they bring it in to their kitchen?

The raw milk issue- Again, rules are in place for our protection because both historically and recently people have been sickened and have died from consuming raw milk. Raw milk can be dangerous when handled and stored and collected improperly. The government can't check out each individual farm to ensure they are up to standards, so a law is in place to protect people from farmers who would knowingly or inadvertently harm the public using shoddy practices. This issue has been increasingly being discussed and I believe you will see the laws regarding this changing, but for now we have to live by the law, or risk not following the law and getting into trouble for it. If you break the law then you will have to live with the consequences.

People are constantly complaining about "The Government" when the government is made up of people we elected to run our country. If you don't like the government then change it by getting involved in your local politics and voting.

/will step off soap box now.

"People are constantly complaining about "The Government" when the government is made up of people we elected to run our country. If you don't like the government then change it by getting involved in your local politics and voting."

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that farms that sell raw milk typically have lower bacterial counts than the milk from commercial operations prior to pasteurization. Another reflection that people who are paying attention to nutrition and their animals typically take excellent care and provide good product. As an example, more people have gotten ill from pasteurized milk than from raw milk for the last several decades. There was an article just in the last week in a national paper describing the deaths from commercial milk which far exceed that of raw milk users. That said, as always, one wants to pay attention when dealing with products without all the commercial safeguards. I'll purchase raw milk (and have for years) from a small certified Grade A dairy, all grass fed cows rather than a large commercial operation in this state (which would not sell it anyway). But prefer raw goat's milk as first choice (fortunately, we have a local source as well) for a number of reasons.

One thing I learned at the state fair while talking to farmers is that a number of the smaller ones...their families drink raw milk even though they send their milk out to commercial operations for processing.

Life is interesting.

Someone doesn't just sit back in a room and say, "How can we stick our noses further into people's business?"

Wanna bet?
gig.gif

Again, rules are in place for our protection because both historically and recently people have been sickened and have died from consuming raw milk.

More people died from eating USDA inspected beef contaminated with e coli or contaminated spinach than have died from raw milk.

YES..there are risks. ALWAYS. Even with the gooberment stamp of approval. The gooberment seal just gives people a false sense of security.​

Back
Top Bottom