Just have to share my excitement over my broody hen and her eggs!

TaylorAnn

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Hi everyone, my name is Taylor and I'm new to the forums. Well, I have read lots of posts on here since I got my chickens, but this is my first time posting :)

No one in real life understands my excitement about how my hen has gone broody and currently has 13 eggs under her. I've candled them, and all 13 are alive and kicking (literally!). We never planned on letting her sit on them, just found a secret stash one day and decided to let nature take it's course. So many times I thought that she would abandon her eggs or that it just wouldn't work. I have no experience in hatching baby chicks, and the first time it really is so hard to believe that the hen just instinctively knows what she is doing, and that within 21 days, an egg goes from a cake ingredient to a chick! It's just so amazing.

So anyway, we're on day 14 or 15. Not long to go now. They will be a cross between Rhode Island Red (Mum) and Black Australorp (Dad). Both of the parents are very good natured and sweet chickens, so I'm hoping the babies will inherit that.

I'm just about bursting with excitement and had to share. I can't wait until they're born, to see what they look like and to see how their mother is with them. I raised Mum and Dad from 3 day old chicks, so I guess I'm kind of about to be a grandma haha!

Thanks for listening to me carry on, and I can't wait to share pictures once the little fuzzy butts are born :)

Hi , my first set of chickies are 6 weeks old and it is such a great experience watching them grow and mama teaching them all things chicken, and getting a whole new set of chicken buddies.
I have just put another lot of eggs under another broody.
I wish you good luck and enjoy those little fluffy bums!!!!

Back
Top Bottom