Just want to bi@%h about my roo

Palmettoguy

Chirping
May 24, 2021
So my roo is 8wks old and he is starting to pick on the hens.
The flock consists of 6 hens and 1 roo, all Sapphire Gems, all 8wks old.
A couple of days ago I noticed about a dz different feathers on the coop floor. (Coop is 4x8). I couldn't find any bald patches on any of the hens so I assume they came from different hens.
Yesterday, I had them all in the run (15'x12') and the roo ran up to one of then hens and pulled out some neck feathers. He didn't try to mount her, he just went for her throat.
Today, he did the same thing to 2 different hens. This time, he grabbed one of the girls by the flesh of the neck and started yanking her forwards as he walked backwards. I jumped in, broke it up and put him in solitary for the rest of the day.
I'm currently looking for a new home for him....

So my roo is 8wks old and he is starting to pick on the hens.
The flock consists of 6 hens and 1 roo, all Sapphire Gems, all 8wks old.
A couple of days ago I noticed about a dz different feathers on the coop floor. (Coop is 4x8). I couldn't find any bald patches on any of the hens so I assume they came from different hens.
Yesterday, I had them all in the run (15'x12') and the roo ran up to one of then hens and pulled out some neck feathers. He didn't try to mount her, he just went for her throat.
Today, he did the same thing to 2 different hens. This time, he grabbed one of the girls by the flesh of the neck and started yanking her forwards as he walked backwards. I jumped in, broke it up and put him in solitary for the rest of the day.
I'm currently looking for a new home for him....
Young roosters can be crazy that way. I would rehome him if he were mine.
Many experienced chickeners say young roosters learn better manners from older seasoned hens, but your hens are all young.

Your cockerel is being a young idiot, and doesn't have any hens or a rooster to teach him manners. Your pullets, all the same age, aren't up to dealing with his behavior.
Moving him on to another flock with adult birds might be the best plan, so your pullets won't have to put up with him.
He's actually being very overbearing given that he's only eight weeks old!
Next year you will have mature hens, and they will be able to educate cockerels towards better behavior!
Mary

I had the same issue with a previous Roo. My bossy little hen would stand up to him though & I was always so proud of her 😂 Of course he got the boot though.

You can always keep him separated, fatten him up and then...

He ought to make for some fine dining in several more months, and you'll have the benefit of knowing exactly what he's been eating, been medicated with, etc. Cocky cockerels taste delicious.
Agreed. Name him Spatch, fatten then flatten on the grill

Back
Top Bottom