Pics
You need to get an incubator :lol: I think you'd like the process. Did anyone get the chickens you were giving away?
Yes - all found a home; the farm where I'd been buying eggs had a bobcat attack, and was looking for some cockerels and young stock. I am honestly shocked that I hadn't had a predator problem. (please don't jinx me for writing this!!) But apparently the bobcat that had been hanging around our house was hopping their electric fence and taking a few chickens every night. They lost more than 50 in a week and got pics.

So - I'm now down to 10 - the # I wanted to carry through the winter - which I think officially starts today - first real snow hitting tonight!

Attachments

• IMG_1266 2.jpg
    IMG_1266 2.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 13
Plenty, plenty pics!

There will be sooo many!! Lol

She kept asking if any had hatched yet :lau

Yes - all found a home; the farm where I'd been buying eggs had a bobcat attack, and was looking for some cockerels and young stock. I am honestly shocked that I hadn't had a predator problem. (please don't jinx me for writing this!!) But apparently the bobcat that had been hanging around our house was hopping their electric fence and taking a few chickens every night. They lost more than 50 in a week and got pics.

So - I'm now down to 10 - the # I wanted to carry through the winter - which I think officially starts today - first real snow hitting tonight!

Oh wow that is scary!!! :eek:

Hopefully they solved the problem??

And wow snow already!? We were supposed to get some tomorrow but they changed it and we’re not now but are next week. I’m not ready. I’m already freezing and turning the heat on. I think this winter will be a real winter again unlike the past several. :hit

You should hatch some birds in the spring!!!

Amazing! Let the fun begin.....

I am so excited!!! I can’t believe I got such a big variety!!!

You should hatch some birds in the spring!!!
I never thought I'd enjoy chickens as much as I do... I started for eggs and meat, and I'm clearly addicted now. Hatching will be in my future. I'm researching a self sustaining meat supply, and a bigger coop next spring. Long term - incubation is gonna happen - and I learn vicariously through you all.
We've got freezing rain right now (and the flock is just walking around enjoying it). Should be a few inches of snow overnight. forecast is for 5 inches early next week. Can't wait - I love snowy winters.

I never thought I'd enjoy chickens as much as I do... I started for eggs and meat, and I'm clearly addicted now. Hatching will be in my future. I'm researching a self sustaining meat supply, and a bigger coop next spring. Long term - incubation is gonna happen - and I learn vicariously through you all.
We've got freezing rain right now (and the flock is just walking around enjoying it). Should be a few inches of snow overnight. forecast is for 5 inches early next week. Can't wait - I love snowy winters.
We are supposed to be getting snow in the next couple days. A snow and rain mix I am so thrilled :th

I’m so tempted to just set the eggs right this second. :lau :oops:

But I’ll wait. I wanna do it for the Thanksgiving hatch which isn’t until tomorrow so I should really wait haha

Plus I have to test the hygrometers and incubator humidity first. I wish I did it earlier so I could set right now :lau
Just set them already.
You are wasting time.:old

What temperature is your incubator right now and what does the incubator's humidity gauge read?

That is awesome!! Chickens sure are addictive :love I started 4 years ago with 9 and just added 5 more chicks in April. Have lost a few of the adults along the way and currently have 11 chickens. They are awesome. :love mine are just pets and egg layers but always wanted to try meat birds. If you ever do do it, my Delaware and Australorps are freaking HUGE lol and my Barred Rock was too. But the Dellie may even have the adults beat. She was massive even as a chick lol

And I’m about to build a second coop for these new ones :lau

They sure are fun!!

Oh wow that’s awesome!! I don’t like freezing rain and ice but I do love the snow!! It’s so beautiful. :love

Does make chores a lot harder though! LOL

Back
Top Bottom