Pics
Lavender Orpingtons are so beautiful. I had one. It was supposed to be a hen and turned out to be a cockerel named Larry. For being an Orp, he had quite the attitude and would come at me if I entered his pen. One day I picked him up by the heels to carry him around for a bit and adjust his attitude and one of his spurs snapped off. He had huge spurs but the sound of that spur snapping could be heard. Surprised, I put him down and he took off, never to bother me again.

I lost him about 6 months later to Mareks.

larrychicken.JPG

Here's Larry Bird the day I looked close at him and said HEY! You're a rooster! Darn it!

It was my hope to raise hard to find Orpington breeds and sell the chicks/birds. Then Marek's hit and I learned that Orpingtons are highly susceptible to it.

Kelsey, face it girl, you need your own place in the country!

I'd make them dinner for my family. I'm all about providing food, but I haven't done it yet. My chicks are the size of nuggets :lau

Yeah, that’s a good idea and probably smarter than giving them to someone else after spending the time and money raising them but I’d just hate to off them all :hit

Hopefully someone will want a flock rooster or two. :fl

They’re all nice breeds so could be used for breeding maybe. I know they’re hatchery but all my hens/pullets from the same hatchery are beautiful. :love

If I can find anyone though, I’ll probably be forced to.

But my parents will likely be adamantly against that, they didn’t even wanna do meat chickens (I would like to eventually), and think it’s gross, cruel, whatever, so I may be forced to keep them until they all find homes.

Which is fine, just hopefully it doesn’t take too long.

And yeah, those probably wouldn’t make a very good meal :lau

I don’t know if I can keep all mine till they’re a good eating size so hopefully they sell before then haha

Yeah, that’s a good idea and probably smarter than giving them to someone else after spending the time and money raising them but I’d just hate to off them all :hit

Hopefully someone will want a flock rooster or two. :fl

They’re all nice breeds so could be used for breeding maybe. I know they’re hatchery but all my hens/pullets from the same hatchery are beautiful. :love

If I can find anyone though, I’ll probably be forced to.

But my parents will likely be adamantly against that, they didn’t even wanna do meat chickens (I would like to eventually), and think it’s gross, cruel, whatever, so I may be forced to keep them until they all find homes.

Which is fine, just hopefully it doesn’t take too long.

And yeah, those probably wouldn’t make a very good meal :lau

I don’t know if I can keep all mine till they’re a good eating size so hopefully they sell before then haha
I think it's hilarious when people eat chicken from the grocery store, but think it's cruel to raise your own... The chickens that you buy at the grocery stores are treated so poorly! I'm just glad that my chickens can spend 20 weeks very happy then be stuck in a meat farm stepping/sitting in poop obese and having a bad quality of life.

My mom is so grossed out that I am doing my own chickens. I showed her the plucker that I wanted to buy and she got grossed out just by seeing that :idunno

They'd make a good meal for my 5 lb puppy :gig

I don't know if I am going to sell some of mine, I might sell some of the pullets. I'm not sure yet. I really don't want to deal with selling to people because if they get sick or what not I don't want to have to deal with people complaining. So far none have my chickens have been sick :fl

When I breed my ducks, I probably won't sell any of their offspring because some will be mules Pekin/Muscovy cross. The rest will be straight Pekin.

Lavender Orpingtons are so beautiful. I had one. It was supposed to be a hen and turned out to be a cockerel named Larry. For being an Orp, he had quite the attitude and would come at me if I entered his pen. One day I picked him up by the heels to carry him around for a bit and adjust his attitude and one of his spurs snapped off. He had huge spurs but the sound of that spur snapping could be heard. Surprised, I put him down and he took off, never to bother me again.

I lost him about 6 months later to Mareks.

View attachment 1959537

Here's Larry Bird the day I looked close at him and said HEY! You're a rooster! Darn it!

It was my hope to raise hard to find Orpington breeds and sell the chicks/birds. Then Marek's hit and I learned that Orpingtons are highly susceptible to it.

Kelsey, face it girl, you need your own place in the country!

Larry was beautiful. :love

So sorry you lost him!!

I’m so scared of Mareks which is another reason I wanted to keep these far away from my vaccinated birds but I may have no choice.

And I’ve heard Lavender Orpingtons can be more aggressive than the other colors. Don’t know why. But there seem to be several people I’ve heard of having aggressive Lav Orps.

And I would LOVE my own place in the country! :love

Actually hope to be able to do it one day haha

Right now we have almost 2.5 acres and are set back in the woods a bit/long driveway so it’s pretty private for the most part but we have close neighbors in the back and can see their houses or when they’re in the yard they come pretty close to us. Which is why I wanted to put them on the other side of the yard but I don’t think I’m going to be able to haha

But I’ve had the chickens about 4 years now and had a garden the last few years so I’m slowly getting more and more into the farming/homesteading/country life thing. :p

This year was the first year I expanded beyond 8 and added more and now I’ve gone crazy with buying eggs :lau

Planning on quail next and of course got some fish this week too.

So chicken math/poultry math/animals in general math has really hit this year :lau

Although I’m gonna wait on the quail till next year but might get some rabbits.

My garden was way bigger and better this year too.

The “farm” has really taken off. :lau

Next up is goats and/or sheep. :lau

My dad has said before “this isn’t a farm” or “I don’t want it to become one” or similar but... we’ll see about that. :lau

Although I would LOVE to have like at least 20 acres someday haha

Oh and horses

We have something like 29 acres. Every time we see the description it changes.Some times they say 27.5 other times, it's 29 sometimes it's 28.5. Geesh, gimme a break. I think they say 29 because legally our property line is to the center of the road which adds to the over all acreage. About 7-8 acres are buildings, house, barn, chicken coop. The rest is timber. We would love more timber but reality is that getting older we don't need any more to manage and what we have provides us with firewood to heat with and forest to wander around in.

DH has spent a lot of time cutting trails and grooming them and as we live on a ridge there are a lot of hills to climb so we get a lot of exercise.

Back
Top Bottom