Sounds fun but before I hatch any out I want to know something? My hens are RI reds & as you probably know I now know I have one buff Brahma rooster & now I’m thinking one of my reds might be a rooster as well we had said we wanted to keep it small & just wanted them for eggs only but now since we have a definite rooster if we decide to hatch some out & I keep the Brahma rooster will this create a new breed since the roo is Brahma & the hens are all reds I don’t plan on keeping the red rooster if he is a he because he bites me or tries to every time I go in the coop!

They won’t be a new breed per se, it takes a lot of selective breeding and time to create a totally new breed, but they will be beautiful mixes and likely very good egg layers. :love

If you get some barred birds, you should be able to create sex links (where you would be able to tell gender from hatch) with either of the roosters but I’m not sure on that.

But with the current birds they will just be really pretty.

Thanks I was wondering because I am new at this & do not want to be mixing breeds if I shouldn’t do so! What would you call a buff Brahma RI red mixed chick? Just a mixed breed or buff RI, Brahma red, RI brahma, buff red or red buff! Lol!

Thanks I was wondering because I am new at this & do not want to be mixing breeds if I shouldn’t do so! What would you call a buff Brahma RI red mixed chick? Just a mixed breed or buff RI, Brahma red, RI brahma, buff red or red buff! Lol!

You can mix any breeds you want to and call them whatever you want to! They’re your birds and there’s no rules against it or anything. :) The only thing you wouldn’t want to do is try to sell them as purebreds/mislead people or anything like that but I know you wouldn’t do that lol there’s nothing wrong with breeding your birds together or mixing breeds or anything. :) you can even go crazy on the names if you want!! LOL I love all those name ideas!!

You can call them anything and have fun doing it. :D

I might experiment with hatching mine if I keep one of the roosters lol

It can be fun experimenting! :D

FA159113-461A-49DD-9F71-BE1350E17A1F.jpeg
Oh & here is a pic of the one red I am thinking might me a roo. What do you think compared to the other reds in the pic?

View attachment 1977875 Oh & here is a pic of the one red I am thinking might me a roo. What do you think compared to the other reds in the pic?

I don’t see anything that screams rooster to me. Pretty small comb and wattles still and I don’t see any hackle or saddle feathers, though it’s a bit hard to tell with as dark as it is. But I say hen. :) how old did you say they were again? If near laying age, their combs will redden shortly before they begin to lay. So this one may simply be close to laying which would explain why she is red and the other girls aren’t. :)

And I have a few hens that like to peck really hard but they still lay eggs. :)

Some hens just have more attitude or maybe don’t realize their own strength lol

You can mix any breeds you want to and call them whatever you want to! They’re your birds and there’s no rules against it or anything. :) The only thing you wouldn’t want to do is try to sell them as purebreds/mislead people or anything like that but I know you wouldn’t do that lol there’s nothing wrong with breeding your birds together or mixing breeds or anything. :) you can even go crazy on the names if you want!! LOL I love all those name ideas!!
Thanks I’m kinda partial to waiting to see what color each chick I get ends up being when they get old enough to tell! When my buff was new he was kinda ugly & awkward looking & smaller than the reds they picked on him then one day like over night he was bigger & prettier than them & of course now runs the coop!

Thanks I’m kinda partial to waiting to see what color each chick I get ends up being when they get old enough to tell! When my buff was new he was kinda ugly & awkward looking & smaller than the reds they picked on him then one day like over night he was bigger & prettier than them & of course now runs the coop!

I think that’s a great idea!! Most of my birds eventually earn their names lol

I don’t see anything that screams rooster to me. Pretty small comb and wattles still and I don’t see any hackle or saddle feathers, though it’s a bit hard to tell with as dark as it is. But I say hen. :) how old did you say they were again? If near laying age, their combs will redden shortly before they begin to lay. So this one may simply be close to laying which would explain why she is red and the other girls aren’t. :)

And I have a few hens that like to peck really hard but they still lay eggs. :)

Some hens just have more attitude or maybe don’t realize their own strength lol
She definitely has attitude & tries to stand her ground with him they puff up at each other a lot & she like moans all the time when I’m out there! If the moaning sound she makes sounds familiar to you she makes a different sound than the rest! The others kinda make the bock bock or cluck sounds. she makes moan or groan sounds!

Back
Top Bottom