Keeping Cool Without A/C

I really love the windows open at night/closed in the day routine, and it WORKS. However, it only works if you or your significant other remembers to close the windows in the morning. I'd leave so early it was still cool, so I left the windows open, and I'd come home at 4pm to a 90+ degree house and a husband who just couldn't figure out WHY he was sweating his buns off!!! (not that it would hurt him...) He'll sit there and sweat and not ever get the funny idea in his head to actually DO something about it, like turn on a fan or turn on the a/c. I would say that "some days, I think the dogs are smarter than him" but it's actually starting to be MOST days.

So I ended up having to keep the windows closed and use the a/c.
I'm not too bothered by the heat as long as I don't have to work too hard out in it. Sitting in the shade is fine with me, everyone else will be sweating and I'll be comfortable enough. My solution (when possible) is generally to sleep all day and work outside at night.

Be naked.
lol.png
That's what I do. Especially at night. Luckily, we're still in the 50s at night here so opening the window is okay and the house stays around 72-74 during the day with no heat on. We don't have A/C with the exception of a "window shaker" that is in our bedroom window because I cannot sleep if I'm hot.
roll.png

We used to never run the A/C at our old house. Well, maybe it didn't help that it didn't work for most of the time we lived there, until we decided to sell and we got it fixed. But other than that, I just turn on the fan, wear less clothing, keep active because I find that I stay "hot" if I'm not moving, and I try to stay hydrated with cool, not really ice cold, drinks - never soda or anything too sweet, though.

I turned on the ac when it hit 75 outside. I'd open all the windows at night to let in the 50F air

Same here! I prefer 60 degrees with sun
big_smile.png
But if I can't have that all summer I have the air on once it reaches 75.

I give ppl credit who can tough it out and save money though! I'm just a whimp!​

I'm not sure if I've ever had A/C in ALL the many places I've lived over the years. Never had it growing up either. It's one of those luxuries that I think is just a waste, for me, personally. Actually, there was central A/C when I lived with my ex in his house, and I hated it. It was always freezing in the house. I would beg him to turn it off and open a window for fresh air, I felt like I was missing summer. I guess A/C just isn't a big deal to me.
idunno.gif

I'm fine w/it being warm in the house..but with Brian sleeping during the daytime (works midnight shift)..he sweats something fierce ..so we've had to have it on..ugg.

BUT I definitely turn it off when I can!!!

It's been 100 degrees here lately with high humidity....I work outside. Doesn't bother me much, BUT once I'm ready for bed the AC is on "freeze butt"
gig.gif
...gotta be cool when I sleep!

I keep a fan and water bottle on "mist" handy. When I get too hot, I mist myself. We had a single room a/c unit, but it blew the outlet and I said no more. Either we turn on the big one, or we don't. Might change our minds in July. What sucks is the front of our house is where the bedroom is, catching all the heat of the day action. The roof of the porch below transfers it's heat to the night time fans in the windows until it's had a chance to cool off. It isn't comfortable until midnight.

I only buy curtains that have a white backing on them and that are reasonably thick. We still have original single pane windows, so I want as little heat transfer as possible!

I have central a/c and have to have it on. I do have it off somedays in the mornings to let fresh air in but when the temp rises the windows go down and the a/c comes on. Yesterday was 107 here. I have a well insulated brick house so the a/c doesn't work too hard, but it's worth every penny to me.

I don't even have ac and been hitting 90's here. I ran window fans all day. Some blowing in and some out. At night we put a frozen bottle in front of the small fan by the bed. (Kids get some ac when it's bad but their room gets hit with the setting sun and no insulation.) Otherwise we stay outside with a kiddie pool and encourage kids to stay in the shade. Ac is just to much especially with no insulation. Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom