Keeping Muscovies with other ducks

hossfeathers

Songster
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
I have a question about keeping Muscovies with other ducks. I looked for this in the archives but I didn't find a discussion that answered my question.

My intent is to keep a handful of Muscovies (1-2 drakes, 3-5 ducks) for producing meat ducks and just 'cause I like 'Scovies. I currently have chickens, but after learning about the egg laying ability of many kinds of ducks, I am leaning towards phasing out the chickens as I build up the duck herd, and replacing the chickens with an egg-laying breed of ducks.

I know that any Muscovy/Mallard type duck eggs will be sterile, but I'm not intending on keeping the Mallard ducks for hatching, just for eggs.

Any suggestions on mallard breeds that tolerate Muscovies well and are decent egg layers? I'm already figuring that the bitty Call ducks or any bantams will get thrashed regularly, so they're not an option. I'm looking at about 10 adult ducks total.

I would suggest pekins. They are also a large breed duck, like the scovies, so they shouldn't get too thrashed. Plus, they lay nice large eggs and they are a breed that's relatively easy to find.

I have

Calls – 3 males, 1 female
Runners – 1 drake, 3 hens
Mallards – 1 drake, 1 hens
Pekins – 3 hens
Muskovies – 1 drake, 1 hen
Farm Ducks – 3 drakes, 1 hen
Cayugas – 1 male, 3 females

All in the same duck run and coop and never have a problem! The ones that I would even consider a problem are the farm ducks (Swedish crosses) because, well...they like to breed with anyone lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

Turns out I can get Appleyards in my area. Holderread lists them as a good laying and foraging duck, and they're about the same size as Scovy hens. Anyone keep Appleyards and have an opinion?

Back
Top Bottom