Keeping Poop Out of Nesting Boxes

lilikoilady

Hatching
Apr 23, 2017
Kauai
I'm new at this and have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Road Island Reds that started laying eggs at 5 months old. We got one coop and a few weeks ago got another in preparation for 3 more who will be moved to the original coop next week. Right now our 4 hens are enjoying both coops. They lay in all the nesting boxes, but unfortunately have developed a bad habit of sleeping and pooping in the older coop's nesting boxes. I read one of your blogs where a member suggested placing an empty milk carton in the nesting boxes but I didn't have one so I put in 2 large Tupperware bowls instead. At first, I tried to block them from entering completely but my husband was concerned that they wouldn't have their cozy dark protective roosting area to sleep. The other 3 nesting boxes and roosting area in new coop has stayed totally clean since day one and they all lay in those boxes. Although the Buffs prefer the new coop but all 4 never sleep in there. Soon all 4 will move to the new coop as we'll have to separate them from the 3 teenagers/chicks. Am I on the right track? Will I have to block access to the nesting boxes every night forever till morning

? It didn't seem to matter on the height of the roosting bars which were at a higher level in the old coop. The new clean coop has roosting bars that were set up on the same level as the nesting boxes. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

I'm new at this and have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Road Island Reds that started laying eggs at 5 months old. We got one coop and a few weeks ago got another in preparation for 3 more who will be moved to the original coop next week. Right now our 4 hens are enjoying both coops. They lay in all the nesting boxes, but unfortunately have developed a bad habit of sleeping and pooping in the older coop's nesting boxes. I read one of your blogs where a member suggested placing an empty milk carton in the nesting boxes but I didn't have one so I put in 2 large Tupperware bowls instead. At first, I tried to block them from entering completely but my husband was concerned that they wouldn't have their cozy dark protective roosting area to sleep. The other 3 nesting boxes and roosting area in new coop has stayed totally clean since day one and they all lay in those boxes. Although the Buffs prefer the new coop but all 4 never sleep in there. Soon all 4 will move to the new coop as we'll have to separate them from the 3 teenagers/chicks. Am I on the right track? Will I have to block access to the nesting boxes every night forever till morning

? It didn't seem to matter on the height of the roosting bars which were at a higher level in the old coop. The new clean coop has roosting bars that were set up on the same level as the nesting boxes. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
the roost bar should be higher than the nest boxes. I'd block off the nest boxes and put them on the roost bar at night. Once one gets ahold of it, the rest usually follows.

So what I think you're saying is that they follow the leader and I won't have to keep blocking off the nesting boxes forever
1f914.png
It's funny that the original nesting roost is higher but the new coop's is not. So much for store bought coops.

I put on my old thinking cap and no need for Tupperware bowls anymore - recycling old chicken wire is a perfect solution and hopefully when they learn, they won't need that reminder anymore
1f602.png

G’Day from down under lilikoilady
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree with PraiseGod in that chickens like to roost as high as they can, if your roosts are below other inviting spots, they will ignore them and go for the high spots.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom