Kentucky people

I lost my first bird to a predator last night. Beautiful cayuga drake. I feel so bad, he was in a quarantine pen with his girlfriend so I could keep an eye on them since they were new to us. This is the first time I ever penned any ducks, and now I got that little cutie eaten. Nothing there but a hole in the fence, a handful of feathers, and a few drops of blood. My first loss in 3 years. I'm so bummed and I feel terrible.

I'm looking for some really good quality black silkie pullets or hens. I don't want chicks just ones that are about to lay or are laying(but not really old ones).I need these to put in my paint silkie pen. I'm in Frankfort Kentucky, please PM me if you have any. Thanks!

My wife came home with 8 straight run bantams from TSC this afternoon. It looks like all but one are pullets. She picked out at least 3 cochins, one English game that has a bad attitude already and one clean-legged black pullet that is the runt-can't determine the other 3 with certainty just yet. They're having fun chasing the larger golden comet chicks around in the brooder.

I would love suggestions on a banty coops if any of you all have pictures of your setup.I want to keep them seperate from the big girls for now. I have an old rabbit hutch that I might repurpose for the little guys but I'd like to see a few pictures of banty coops that aren't on the main forum. Thanks.

We're in Knox county. Starting our flock over with more roosters than we really need, but don't have the heart to eat (or give away). Headed to the London stock sale next week and didn't have the cash to go to Berea today.

I'm specifically looking for Polish and/or Silkies right now, with a possibility of Black or White Giants before fall. Any help with where to look around here is appreciated.

Haven't lost a single bird to a predator yet, but the neighbor's dogs haven't stopped trying. Lost 1 Leghorn pullet to an accident in the pen last summer, and a few chicks here and there due to just plain not being good at living.

Welcome!
Trust me, if it has a pulse, your rooster is gonna try to love it. Two legs, 4 legs, it won't matter. Our old Australian shepherd has been victim to cross species love. I had a bantam wyandotte who would cover large fowl hens. A serious note, sperm may stay viable for up to two weeks. So, if you separate by breed give a bit before setting eggs unless you don't mind a barnyard mix.

New to BYC, just purchased 6 Buff Orpington pullets, I live in Hancock Couty (abt 20 miles east of Owensboro). We had chickens, ducks, turkeys, and cows when I was a child but these are my first babies. I would like to know if you that have several different breeds keep them seperate to know what type are inside your fertile eggs or do the chicks keep to their own kind if they have that choice. I have these for the eggs but the more I look, the more I want.....

Cynthia

My wife came home with 8 straight run bantams from TSC this afternoon. It looks like all but one are pullets. She picked out at least 3 cochins, one English game that has a bad attitude already and one clean-legged black pullet that is the runt-can't determine the other 3 with certainty just yet. They're having fun chasing the larger golden comet chicks around in the brooder.

I would love suggestions on a banty coops if any of you all have pictures of your setup.I want to keep them seperate from the big girls for now. I have an old rabbit hutch that I might repurpose for the little guys but I'd like to see a few pictures of banty coops that aren't on the main forum. Thanks.

If Mt. Healthy Hatchery is the supplier for your area TSCs like they are for mine, this is what they told me last week about the bantams they sell:

"We only sell Bantams in an assortment of as hatched consisting of Mille Fleur, Golden Seabright, Red Pyle Old English and the Black and White Silkies."

I'm not interested in any of those breeds, so I asked if they had bantams in Cochins, Brahmas, or Orpingtons. They said no, so it's not likely you have bantam Cochins. Silkies maybe?

Back
Top Bottom