Kentucky people

Quote:
frow.gif
from Harrodsburg

Heres a few pics of some of my brood. All doing quite well at 4 weeks. They were from a feed store in Campbellsville via Privett hatchery.
Gold Laced Wyandotte and light brahma pullets
IMG_5111.jpg

Gold and silver laced wyandottes and Light Brahmas pullets
IMG_5110.jpg

Buff orpington pullet
IMG_5109.jpg

Last edited:
ShellyD2008 I was lucky enough to get apair of seramas this weekend. You are the closset person I know that raises them. Can you tell me if you think they are any good. I know its hard with just a pic and i am just interested in knowing if they are aaaaaaaas good looking to a pro as they are to me!lol. They are small,I don't have a scale but size wise they are smaller than my mottled OEwhich are very small. The roo is commong out of a moult and his tail isn't full yet. I think he has a pretty good stance. Thanks for any info or suggestions. Wayne
19588_seramas_003.jpg

19588_seramas_004.jpg

19588_seramas_002.jpg

The spacing on the bars of the cage are 1/2 inch so you can kind of tell how short in height.He holds his wings more straight down than the pic shows,boy they are hard to photograph,as they are not real tame. Except the hen,she kept getting if front so I would be sure and get her pic!lol

The only problem is it's very hard to determine size with small birds. My mottled pullet looked like one of the smallest, but when I weighed her she was the heaviest pullet I had. Likewise, a cockerel that I was certain was smaller than another turned out to be the biggest by weight. So you really can't tell by looking at them
smile.png

The hen has good tail carriage but a verrrrrry long back. Their tails should almost touch the backs of their heads. The cock has a decent tail, you say he's coming out of molt so that could be it. I can't tell if they have the correct tail 'shape'...from the back it's supposed to look like an upside-down V.

Both appear to have yellow legs and red earlobes, which is a plus.

It looks like the cock has an extra point on his comb, which is not too big of a deal at this point but they really want them to have 5. His comb is also a bit on the large side which is frowned on. But as long as it doesn't cause it to flop like a leghorn's it should be okay.

Do the cock's wings touch the ground when he's not on deep litter? They shouldn't, you should just be able to see the feet when they are in pose. The wings should be vertical when in pose as well. The hen's wings should also be more vertical but I haven't seen many hens (and only in pictures) that had truly vertical wing carriage.

When posed, the eye is in-line with the leg.

It's hard to judge the breast on the cock since he's not in pose but the hen's breast seems a bit low. They like them to be carried high, though she definitely has the mass.
smile.png

The weight requirements for American Serama are 12 ounces for pullets, 14 ounces for cockerels and hens, and 16 ounces for cocks. Each of these has a 20% +/- allotment. Overall, they are decent birds. It will take some work to compete with the 'big dogs' but I'm in the same boat. I just can't see paying nor can I afford to pay $300-$400 for 1 bird to improve my birds. Think I'll just work my way up
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom