Kentucky people

Boy the wind is blowing today. I just might wake up and find out that I am no longer in Kansas. Yesterday I saw a large hawk that at first I thought was a flying monkey. . . perhaps I'm not in Kansas after all. I tried to count my birds today after I had let them out just to make sure they all made it through yesterday with the flying monkey and all, but with the wind causing them to half-way panic with every gust that comes by I couldn't get a good head count so I gave up trying.

My high stepping roo has good feet and is the only one doing the high step. Don't know why... he seems just as healthy and happy as all the other roos.

My broody hen and her seven 3 week olds are starting to get too big for their brooder. I am tempted to move them into a second cage about 4 times bigger than what they are currently in for another three weeks then let them loose in with the other herd of hens.

I'll need to fix the cage floor as it is elevated and and is made up from two overlapping pallets to form a floor, so I will have to fill the cracks with something so their little feet don't fall through. It seems like, with having chickens, I am continually changing things to suit a new situation.

One day I will have enough different pens, cages, coops, nests, fencing, feeders, waterers, bators, and lights. to handle whatever situation fate decides to throw at me.

Speaking of throwing. . . I only got 6 eggs yesterday and 4 today. Not good from having gotten use to getting 10 to 11 per day. I guess the cold weather is finally catching up with the girls. They are well protected but the temp got below 40 in their coop and that may have affected them. One of the eggs was on the floor. There are three nests and only one other egg in that coop, so I know there were at least two empty nests for her. Don't ya think she would have known that it was comming? "Oops! Well hey... would you look at that!!!"

Oh, and I have a Colt 45. It is what the army used when I was in service so I thought I could get ammo if needed when shipped overseas. That way I didn't have to take any ammo through customs myself. (I was in the Air Force and worked with the army so got "shipped" seperately.) Got lucky and never needed to take it anywhere.

Got to get some sleep.

Last edited:
Hey Chuck -- You bet I'll take the silkies.... just need to get your address as I followed Kelly the last time I came.... Is Sat afternoon okay with you?? send me a PM with address and phone # as I am directionally challenged and might need to call you if I get lost....
hmm.png

Meri -- I'll ask DH if he has that ammo -- he believes you can never have enough too.... we found some ammo in our bedroom behind the wall

Maybe if I we get a relay going, I can get my doms and you can get the pekins... I think John England lives down your way and he comes to the Shepherdsvill Stock Yards most weekends with his cages and pigeons/ducks/chicks....

He knows me and my kids -- Soap Lady -- I'd be willing to send the Pekins to ChknLvnFam if they were near you with John.... He said I could use his billy but I had to come and get him and that's a bit far for me to drive.... I can't believe he does it almost every weekend....

I hate being so new to KY.... I lived 18 yrs in VA and could tell where places were by the time I left and I'm still trying to figure out where all these places are in KY... Thank goodness for mappers so I can tell where things are in relation to me.... But it is still a pain....

I just talked to John and he said he isn't going to be there this weekend..so we will have to wait until next week.

I told him we were all plotting..lol!! Thought maybe we should let him in on it. He has some sort of reunion to go to this week.

Last edited:
I haven't a clue if John ever did dogs.... I know he does pigeons and goats and makes really nice cages....

Waiting another week won't make a difference to me.....

Spidertoys do I owe you anything for the birds?? More pumpkin bread?? I'm gonna get some wellsummers from a guy east of me on Saturday (I think) so now I'll be down to just getting Doms from you (your friend) and then I'll need to find the Cookoo Marans and I'll be all set with my birdies.... Oh and Chuck is providing DH with his silkies...

Hey Cknlvnfam -- where are you located in Central KY... we're trying to see if we can get you my pekins with John that comes to Shepherdsville from down around cumberland (isn't that right Spidertoys??)

Back
Top Bottom