Kentucky people

-wood&feathers.

Yep, I'm just a block or so from Southland Dr, but I usually use Good Foods as a point of reference since out fair number of out-of-towners seem to shop there. I'm also pretty close to campus and Central Baptist. But, sadly no, we're well inside the Urban Services boundary, and probably have been since the city and county governments merged from what the neighbors have told me. But, as far as I can tell, the only ordinance regarding keeping chickens inside city limits is that they not roam freely in the streets. Not too big of a hurdle to meet. Friends who also have city-chickens tell me that even roosters are OK since there isn't a day-time noise ordinance in Lexington. My closest neighbor is Norfolk-Southern, and with 27 coal trains a day rumbling by, I don't think anyone really will be complaining about my small flock. My next closest neighbors both grew up in the country and love to see them all out in the garden. In fact, one of the reason I'm looking for more hens is because I've promised to share eggs, but so far of the three I started with, one was lost, one turned out to be a roo and the other has only just started to sporadically lay. Not that I can really blame her with this weather. Fortunately I've taken the whole week off work to refinish the attic into a bedroom for my son, and it is toasty warm up there. The rest of the house...not so much.

I have 2 silkdies that have decided to sit on a nest. I'm gonna leave them, the last nest that one of them had (about a month ago...silly girl) didn't develop, probably got too cold. I didn't know that she had started laying again, she was just sleeping in the 'nest' on the porch. Guess she was sleeping there to keep the eggs from freezing at night, and just decided to keep them warm all the time!
lol.png

Hope everyone is doing well, I should be able to pop in more often in a week or two. Finals are coming up, and I wasn't able to work on them much over break
sad.png

Hello everybody!

I am lookin' for another kind of chicken again! My 12 yr. old little girl has decided she likes the looks of a silkie. Well, a white silkie anyway. So, if you know where I can find one of those let me know!

She's also developed a love of lamb chops, so looks like I'm gonna have to find a lamb somewhere! 4 itty bitty chops cost around $20!!! WOW! I'm a poor college student for goodness sake! I was already looking for a calf or two, so what's a little bitty lamb in the mix?? LOL

Hope everyone is having a good New Year so far...mine seems about the same as 2009 so far and that's not a bad thing.
smile.png

Well, I have to say the chickens are a lot hardier than I figured they would be.

This cold has been just horrible (on me, too
gig.gif
- I have to go do chores out there in it for an hour twice a day). Last year I worried and fussed and ran heat lamps for the chickens in the coops. This year I decided not to - and no extra light at night, just daytime light hours. (of course, the few times I've forgotten to turn off the lights and they stayed on all night is another story
lau.gif
). If I had babies out in the brooder coop, I'd have a heat lamp, but for the older birds, I haven't bothered. I have had about the same losses as last year - I've lost two birds to cold related crap - and they weren't all that hardy looking to begin with. I'm thinking it's a good way to weed out who can make it and who can't make it.

I've still been opening the doors for them (haven't gotten them on lockdown yet, after this cold snap I'll go chase chickens half the day, until then, screw it.) so they come out in the morning and go to the barn after eating to roost in the haylofts and keep warm. They love the barn - if it were safer I'd let them live there, LOL. Of course, I have a pile of eggs in there that I can't reach that won't be fun come spring, but only one or two are laying in there, the others go back to the coop to lay.
lau.gif
Maybe I ought to install a nest box in the barn, for those ladies who choose to stay where they are to lay their eggs.

The ducks and geese have been hanging out in the barn, too. The chickens never did much, until we got hay in there - then it looked like a chicken playground to them, I guess.

When I put younger chickies out (in a couple of weeks) I'll have to run a heat lamp for them in one corner, but that's it. In reality, I only have two ready to go out, and they aren't any trouble, so if I have room inside I'll just keep them in as long as I can. They are both little pullets 6 weeks old. I have batches due the 24th and the 28th, however, so by then it might be getting a bit crowded in there with bins. I also have two other bins with chicks right now. The 6 week old girls have a cage, their bin got too short for their height.

meri

Quote:
When and where is the cochin show in Tennessee? I would love to go! I own most colors in standard size cochins and would love to see more. I have just started reading on this thread and there is no way I can read through 1100 pages. I will be having hatching eggs for sale in the spring. I plan to start a website so people can see my birds, but that will be a little later. They are 7 months old right now, so I should start getting lots of eggs in the spring!

Thanks for the reply JiMK. That sounds great. I'm pretty sure newer neighborhoods have those stupid covenants restricting poultry - they don't want to see veggies in the front yard either. What do they call those cabbages they all plant to add winter color? Tastes like cabbage to me!

I am up in the Daniel Boone, one hour E of Lex. My mom still lives in town, and I think is harboring envy on the chickens. Her mother and aunt's flocks are the source of many fond memories for all of us. A few chickens in the back yard for eggs...

On another note I love when some city folks think they don't have a predator issue like the country. My mother's neighbors have teenage kids and if you walk by their house at night the Herbie does the rumba as a family of raccoons dig in to their leftovers. Mom's cat had to be patched up after tangling with a muskrat. She's off Todds Rd now, but when we lived on Pasadena we had raccoons, skunks, possums and such around the neighborhood. A caving friend downtown has seen a coyote cross W. Main near the cemetaries in the early morning.

Quote:
When and where is the cochin show in Tennessee? I would love to go! I own most colors in standard size cochins and would love to see more. I have just started reading on this thread and there is no way I can read through 1100 pages. I will be having hatching eggs for sale in the spring. I plan to start a website so people can see my birds, but that will be a little later. They are 7 months old right now, so I should start getting lots of eggs in the spring!

Id like to know where the cochin show is too!

Last edited:
Quote:
There is a farm down the road from us that has sheep... Don't know if they raise to sell or not though... I know it looks like they shear them about twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom