Killing Horses for Humans to Eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they tighten up the regulations of transport, farming and slaughter of the horses to make it more humane that there is no problem.

Also 'unclean' meat is only a religious idea and there are not scientific facts to say these animals are unhealthy for human consumption The religious books don't say anything about eating rhino, panda or polar bears - because the people who wrote the book did not know they existed, so how would we know if they are 'clean' or not?

I horse is not a 'bottom feeder'. It eats grass same as a cow! In fact a horse would be better for us that beef as they are not raised of huge cattle lots and fed a diet of corn, antibiotics and steroids.
Have you ever been to a farm store and seen the meds isle for equines? What animals do vets treat most besides dogs and cats? Feed lots for cattle as you describe them are a myth. The X-rays you get from the dentist or doctor are probably more harmful to your health than what trace of a chemical you get from your diet. The dietary laws were for good health nothing more and the people that observed them did not need to know an animal existed or not but were told to not eat the ones that did not meet a certain standard. Your knowledge of good food is as vague as your knowledge of dietary laws.

I have been saying this for years. Horse meat AND meats other than what you would expect have been used by most big companies for many many years, and smaller companies are even worse. In my early years I was an apprentice butcher, and I couldn’t believe what meat went into products or was being called something when in fact it was something else, it was shocking.

You are being told that horse meat isn’t all that bad, which is true, in fact there is really nothing wrong with horse meat if it has been bread for food, but it isn’t just about the horse meat itself, it’s the fact that your being shown that the processing and production of these meat products is not being regulated, and it should be.

If a company is going to put horse meat in a product when it shouldn’t, then why would it care about hygiene, drugs that the horses have been given, how long it was since the animal was slaughtered, or anything for that matter. Well the short answer is it wouldn’t care at all, and doesn’t.

Your not just eating horse meat, god only knows what your eating and what it’s doing to you. And I have just found out that IKEA meat balls have contained horse meat, and other things. Don't forget, these foods are being checked for horse DNA. What about checking these products for other things.

/img/smilies/clap.gif well said I agree 100%
I applaud whoever wrote that article. However as a rancher I will say that I am happy they have reopened the horse slaughter plants, how many of us have shipped an old cow because of age or temperament or bull for that matter! As with any livestock there needs to be a way to use the animal in a way when their useful days are over. I can't tell you how many older horses I've seen suffering through the years but I know it' got a lot worse when they shut down the slaughterhouses. As for me I do not like horse meat and will not eat it, but I don't like seafood either but I don't condemn people that do! For me I say live and let live don't try and force your beliefs on someone else

Have you ever been to a farm store and seen the meds isle for equines? What animals do vets treat most besides dogs and cats? Feed lots for cattle as you describe them are a myth. The X-rays you get from the dentist or doctor are probably more harmful to your health than what trace of a chemical you get from your diet. The dietary laws were for good health nothing more and the people that observed them did not need to know an animal existed or not but were told to not eat the ones that did not meet a certain standard. Your knowledge of good food is as vague as your knowledge of dietary laws.
Have you ever looked in a veterinary catalog and seen the meds and implants for beef cattle? I am not saying these things are harmful, but they are available and they are used. Low levels of antibiotics used to be added to the fattening rations of beef cattle in feedlots because, for reasons not understood, they increase weight gain. Whether or not they are still used I do not know because I am no longer directly involved in the beef industry. I can't think of too many things available in the horse aisle that would pose much of a risk if fed to food animals, either.

What planet are you on that you think the cattle lots are a myth? Are you saying they don't exist?

What are these dietary laws? You mean the fairy tale rules for a particular religion? And what standard did food not meet exactly? Did they have the food standards agency inspecting nutritional values of foods when these food 'laws' were made up?

I have never had a X ray, but I am forced to eat crap food as junk ingredients are mixed in with nearly everything these days and foods are not labelled GM either.

How on earth do you know what my knowledge of 'good food' is? Also my knowledge of 'dietary laws'?

I work as a food technician and also studied food science to BSc hons level. I am now working at post grad level doing funded research for the chemical food industry.

If horse meat production is regulated properly and standards are set for farming practices, that eating horse meat is very acceptable. It is much more healthy than beef, as it is had a considerable lower fat to muscle ratio.

Horse meat has double and amount of Iron than beef
It also has a much higher percent of vitamin B12
The most outstanding quality of horse meat is its Omega-3 fatty acid concentration - with 360mg per 100g, compared to only 21mg in beef.
This is an important nutrient in the prevention of strokes, heart disease and neurodegeneration.

So you can see horse meat has many nutritional advantages over beef.
If you have any further question about the nutritional properties of horse meat please feel free to ask and I am sure you will not find my knowledge to be vague.

Keep in mind that feedlots are after a slim margin of profit and use additives sparingly as they reduce profit where most horses are pets and are often over medicated with dewormers and arthritis meds to name a few. They also change hands more and each new owner usually medicates without knowing past records.

Keep in mind that feedlots are after a slim margin of profit and use additives sparingly as they reduce profit where most horses are pets and are often over medicated with dewormers and arthritis meds to name a few. They also change hands more and each new owner usually medicates without knowing past records.
Chances are that by the time any horses 'make it to' the slaughterhouse any medications used on them have already cleared their systems. Most of the horses ending up at slaughterhouses have barely been fed enough let alone received medications.

I know this isn't about chickens, but we are animal people, not just chicken people. Has anyone else heard about this? The House and Senate just approved a bill legalizing the slaughter of horses for human consumption and OBAMA SIGNED IT IN TO LAW!! On November 18th.

Are they kidding? This is preposterous!

How many soy beans died to make that burger? Lets get real here and have one of those illegally huge soda pops with our horse burger. Maybe it is time to tell the do gooders and the government to butt our of our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom