Kind of a weird one for the experts

TheBoyds

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
Hi guys. This girl shown below is about 2 1/2 or 3 years old. She’s my OG, and the only survivor I have from my first unvaxxed flock that got taken out by Mareks. I wouldn’t say she’s sick, but she’s been off for about 2 weeks. She’s always been kind of chill, but the she’s been off by herself a few times and not doing a whole lot of eating. Doesn’t look sick. Not drooped tail or closed eyes. Everyone else is fine. I brought her inside a few days ago. I’ve given her 2 doses of the concentrated nutri-drench in that time. I’ve seen her eat crumble a few times, and she gets after hard boiled eggs, but def not high energy or eating a lot. Has laid normal eggs every now and then. No stuck egg or weird looking vent. Her poops have been weird though, pic below. Like consistently while yellow.

What do you guys think?

How often can you give the concentrated dropper dose of the nutridrench?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    887.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8898.jpeg
    IMG_8898.jpeg
    858.1 KB · Views: 15
the yellow poops looks like an infection. do you have enrofloxacin or other antibiotic? i would also test for worms and cocci.

Did the urates turn yellow after you started giving her the nutri-drench or was it happening before that?

Yellow urates often indicate something going on with the Liver. Perhaps Fatty Liver disease, but it's hard to know unless you lose them and have a necropsy performed.

What do you feed, including treats?

I'd work on hydration, encourage her to eat.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as part of the problem with energy.
Do look her over for lice/mites too.

Did the urates turn yellow after you started giving her the nutri-drench or was it happening before that?

Yellow urates often indicate something going on with the Liver. Perhaps Fatty Liver disease, but it's hard to know unless you lose them and have a necropsy performed.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as part of the problem with energy.

honestly I think I had at least one dose of nutri on board before I noticed the color of the poops. She started roosting in a specific spot so that’s how I noticed. There hasn’t been any obvious worms in the poops or mites or lice but I’ll give her a more thorough look.

Can you get a fecal float on line?

How often should you be doing the oral dropper dose of nutri drench?

We feed them nutrena all flock crumbles because we have a rooster, supplemented with free choice calcium shell. Treats include ground up hard boiled egg, quality dried soldier larvae (not china), and scraps of meat, shrimp, raw veggies, etc.

Thx!

I don't believe you can do the fecal float online, you'd have to take a sample of poop to your vet.

Direct dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench is 1cc per 3pounds of weight daily. I would not give for more than 3 days in a row.

the yellow poops looks like an infection. do you have enrofloxacin or other antibiotic? i would also test for worms and cocci.
I’m having a super hard time gettin a hold of my vet. We don’t have any antibiotics. I see that you can get LA 200 at tractor supply. Would this work? Thankfully she’s not getting any worse right now.

I’m having a super hard time gettin a hold of my vet. We don’t have any antibiotics. I see that you can get LA 200 at tractor supply. Would this work? Thankfully she’s not getting any worse right now.
I think we have Tylosin. But I’m pretty sure you need a prescription for all antibiotics like LA 200, tylosin, etc now right?

I don't know where you live, but it is easier to get fish antibiotics in some states if you have an aquarium store nearby. there are some stores that still sell fish antibiotics online but I honestly think your hen needs help right away. i have seen yellow poops like that, in my birds, and it was either egg yolk peritonitis, or a bad cocci/worm infestation that turned into enteritis. that's just my experience.

The yellow urates are very bright, and the liver issues from reproductive problems, cancer, and fatty liver do cause the yellow urates. So, I would stop the vitamins for 1 day, to see if the urates turn white. I think sometimes the B vitamins may cause the urates to become yellow, and that occurs in people‘s urine on B vitamins. Make sure that she is eating. I would mix up a little feed and water in a bowl. Try the egg and maybe a bit of tuna or ground meat. Just to get her eating a bit. Then go back to her regular feed.

I don't know where you live, but it is easier to get fish antibiotics in some states if you have an aquarium store nearby. there are some stores that still sell fish antibiotics online but I honestly think your hen needs help right away. i have seen yellow poops like that, in my birds, and it was either egg yolk peritonitis, or a bad cocci/worm infestation that turned into enteritis. that's just my experience.
Thanks for the reply. My vet says she will get back to me today but she’s said that a couple times already. My hen is still the same. Yellow green poops, super low energy. I gave her the oral nutridrench and honey water yesterday and today. The only antibiotic I have is amoxicillin but I’m hesitant to give that without knowing if it will work on whatever is going on.

Back
Top Bottom