Knot on hens head

JudyK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
DeLeon Springs FL
78892_buffy_031.jpg
My rooster has been very rough with my laying hen. She looks like she has been beaten on her head. She is black and swollen on the side of her head where I think he grabs her. Also you can see the back of her head is swollen. I can't see any broken skin. I've got her isolated in the pen today to give her a break. What else should I do? I'm trying to get rid of the roos. I have two and one other hen that they don't bother as much.

I kept both hens in the pen today. I tried to let the roos in right before dark, and they immediately went after Buffy. They are now outside the pen and on their own. I guess they will make it or not until I can get rid of them. But, what do you think I should do for her as far as medication? It looked the same today. As I said, the skin is not broken. I greatly appreciate any help.

what does the swollen part of her head feel? does it feel like it has fluid in it? if it was open I'd say blue-kote or antibiotic ointment w/o pain relief. but for swelling and not open not sure unless it's like a hemtoma, where blood has accumalated. I don't know what is done for that. Can you not process your roos instead of letting something else eat them?

Last edited:
I'd keep the roo far away from her, poor girl! That looks so painful! I have no idea what to do, I'm a new chicken owner. I JUST FEEL SO BAD FOR HER!

Poor thing. Abuse is nasty regardless of species. I think I could bring myself to process that roo (and I really hate the idea of killing a chicken I raised). I bet he would be tasty with a little mustard.

Back
Top Bottom