Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Well, it seems like it is just one thing after another. Yesterday at some point Barney was bit by something, and it isn’t going very well. Here’s a link to my post in the emergency disaster forum.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-bitten-by-insect-swollen-face-damaged-beak.1386622/

I’m hoping it all clears up. He’s such a nice Rooster. I’ve had one other nasty bite or sting and a swollen face before, on my hen, Mrs Marans... but it was nothing compared to this. I am mostly worried about the beak damage and that his swelling in his tongue hasn’t reduced much. Believe it or not, this is a huge improvement over how he was looking this morning swelling wise.

Some brighter news... I’ve also been keeping busy with nest finding for the free ranging girls with Sammy, Dean, and Cass. One of my white Sapphire Marans must be really feeling her leghorn genes. She may not have the comb, but she has the wings! She’s decided to scorn the four other nests in the barn an go for the top right corner of the hay bales.
5614EAFD-37CB-41CC-B17A-A8124E8025DB.jpeg

So now we get to climb Daily up to get her egg, without stepping on the other two nests on the the way up. It’s a nest with a view! So cozy and hay filled.
44D94A7E-5FBC-4A43-A2D4-ADBA74F9F20B.jpeg

And it has a view to fly for! And she flys down narrowly missing my head and landing about 8 feet outside the door!
2FB9D746-43D2-4628-8182-D51D91811746.jpeg

This is the same Barn Sammy flew up and out of the gable end to attack the yearling cows from!

Well, it seems like it is just one thing after another. Yesterday at some point Barney was bit by something, and it isn’t going very well. Here’s a link to my post in the emergency disaster forum.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-bitten-by-insect-swollen-face-damaged-beak.1386622/

I’m hoping it all clears up. He’s such a nice Rooster. I’ve had one other nasty bite or sting and a swollen face before, on my hen, Mrs Marans... but it was nothing compared to this. I am mostly worried about the beak damage and that his swelling in his tongue hasn’t reduced much. Believe it or not, this is a huge improvement over how he was looking this morning swelling wise.

Some brighter news... I’ve also been keeping busy with nest finding for the free ranging girls with Sammy, Dean, and Cass. One of my white Sapphire Marans must be really feeling her leghorn genes. She may not have the comb, but she has the wings! She’s decided to scorn the four other nests in the barn an go for the top right corner of the hay bales.View attachment 2193624
So now we get to climb Daily up to get her egg, without stepping on the other two nests on the the way up. It’s a nest with a view! So cozy and hay filled.View attachment 2193620
And it has a view to fly for! And she flys down narrowly missing my head and landing about 8 feet outside the door!View attachment 2193623
This is the same Barn Sammy flew up and out of the gable end to attack the yearling cows from!
Those are some leghorn genes for sure! Wow!

Back
Top Bottom