Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Good morning Kris :frow I wish you could sleep, but it was fun to find your post first thing this morning :gig

I did manage to finally get back asleep... it took a while but I’m now well rested and wishing I could send this rain somewhere it’s actually needed... my only real complaint withwaking up that early is there’s nothing I can do. I don’t want to get up and risk waking Andrew cleaning the trailer or such, it’s pitch black outside, and it feels like a waste of valuable time better spent sleeping :)

The only why or reason I’d consider that is if she went broody.. then I’d get her two Barnevelder chicks to raise... but I do not see that happening.. plus, I don’t know if I want any more Barnies as she is not a good layer.. and I have mine for eggs mostly...

One of my girls was excellent in her first year laying, every other day like clockwork, the other girl not so much. I will have to see how it goes in their second year. I wanted them primarily for two reasons, they are pretty, and “supposed” to be a bit more personable than mine. They are show quality stock, and I was hoping to have the little girl here take them on as a 4H type project. Didn’t work out as I ended up with a 4:1 cockerel:pullet ratio, and the extreme flight I was of my line. I was also looking for more flock sustainability with being a heritage breed. I had also ordered some chocolate/gold laced Orpington eggs, which was my #1 pick for the kids chickens, but only received one hatching egg and that was a clear (infertile).

One of my girls was excellent in her first year laying, every other day like clockwork, the other girl not so much. I will have to see how it goes in their second year. I wanted them primarily for two reasons, they are pretty, and “supposed” to be a bit more personable than mine. They are show quality stock, and I was hoping to have the little girl here take them on as a 4H type project. Didn’t work out as I ended up with a 4:1 cockerel:pullet ratio, and the extreme flight I was of my line. I was also looking for more flock sustainability with being a heritage breed. I had also ordered some chocolate/gold laced Orpington eggs, which was my #1 pick for the kids chickens, but only received one hatching egg and that was a clear (infertile).

Well, I'll see how well these 3 Barnie girls lay once they start, and what sized egg that they lay. I only keep the best one's for my flock, and sell the rest.

Good morning Bob! :frow @rjohns39
I finally did it! Got up in time to wish you a good Morning first, that is ;)

I’ve been pulling such long days/nights working, and yesterday Andrew and I helped a friend move,so we had a quick “town day” unloading their truck to storage... well our inverter is experiencing technical difficulties, so when the tv just stopped we promptly turned in for the night, at 8pm! As I’ve been running on caffeine, sugar, and 5-6hrs sleep routinely for the last several weeks, I woke up and hour ago at 1am my time and cant seem to fall back asleep.

I’m thinking with the time difference this puts me at 5 am your time now, so I just had a I can wish him a bright good morning first, while I’m up for a change :lol: Maybe I’m still a little loopy and sleep deprived that this seems so entertaining? Now... time to catch up on all the good stuff!

I also found this hilariously entertaining, maybe one too many childrens conversations for me? :lau

Well, I'll see how well these 3 Barnie girls lay once they start, and what sized egg that they lay. I only keep the best one's for my flock, and sell the rest.
Just thought I'd join in because Janet is a Barnevelder too. Her laying pattern at present is egg-off-egg-egg-off so it's three in five days. Previously she was one every other day.

Here she is thae car after a recent trip to the vet.

IMG20200111103822.jpg

Just thought I'd join in because Janet is a Barnevelder too. Her laying pattern at present is egg-off-egg-egg-off so it's three in five days. Previously she was one every other day.

View attachment 2014106

I have to say, in my experience chickens travel far better by car than cats, but I’m quite impressed that you don’t even have a towel for upholstery protection... my cats travel in a carrier, with towels, and back up towels... for getting car sick and providing premature urine samples.

She dropped a poop on the backseat :D fortunately I'm not precious about the car.

Ordinarily the chickens travel in a picnic basket or cat travel box. But one of them (Sandy) recently had 7 trips to the vet in 9 days and she became such a seasoned tourist that I opened up the basket and she was good as gold. She enjoyed the scenery without making the slightest fuss. She was so good, I stopped at the beach for her to take a look. She srared at it for a full minute - a long time for a chicken.

IMG_20191211_094337.jpg

My driving adventures with Sandy made me bold enough to allow Janet out of the basket too. She wasn't quite the cool customer Sandy had been, but we only had one kerfuffle. I took her to see the sea too, but she wasn't captivated like Sandy had been.

IMG20200111104053.jpg

View attachment 2014106
You had better hope the police don't pull you over MJ.....she's not wearing a seat belt! 😝

Back
Top Bottom