Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

So, the North wall didn’t quite get finished yesterday, as getting th final panel up was “confusing” but here we are:
View attachment 2029604View attachment 2029605View attachment 2029606

The front door is huge, I wish that was in the Kitchen, where we will actually be coming in the most. But, you try explaining Farm lifestyle to a house designer one day. It’s like the weird extra door on the east because I made the mistake of saying “in-law suite” once, and it stuck in their heads. Secondary suites must have a private door to the outside and all :rolleyes: because the one in the kitchen is just so far away...

The missing wall section needs put in from the outside, and it has a window in it similar to the three in my mother’s bedroom.
This is so great!! :wee

Strangely, doors are rarely locked here on the island, except to the summer people’s vacation homes, and when “Corey” is on island, then even vehicles occasionally get locked. He has a past... and hasn’t grown out of it yet. Funny story Andrew’s Grandfather once took the wrong car home from the rec center, and then to town the next day. It was a similar make and color... and it took over two days for the two car owners to realize they were driving someone else’s car! This is when I make comments about the elderly, drivers licenses, and regular road testing being not such a bad idea...

So, the North wall didn’t quite get finished yesterday, as getting th final panel up was “confusing” but here we are:

The front door is huge, I wish that was in the Kitchen, where we will actually be coming in the most. But, you try explaining Farm lifestyle to a house designer one day. It’s like the weird extra door on the east because I made the mistake of saying “in-law suite” once, and it stuck in their heads. Secondary suites must have a private door to the outside and all :rolleyes: because the one in the kitchen is just so far away...

The missing wall section needs put in from the outside, and it has a window in it similar to the three in my mother’s bedroom.
It is going to be lovely, Kris! Views to die for & plenty of space for everything.

Breakfast treats for Roostie

Every morning I hand feed Roostie some pellets and usually Shanti needs lured out of the Roosting box with them as well. I’m a very bad Chicken Mama. We ran out of feed, because of the holiday on Monday and a tight budget. Yesterday they all got whole-wheat bread, soaked with eggs, and what remained in their feeders in the morning, then I went and “borrowed” a bucket of feed from the farm. Yes, without asking... I feed and support 2/3 of their flock without compensation, so it’s not as bad as it seems. Andrew was to feed them on returning after dropping me at work.

This was my first time in the coop since they jacked it up, replaced the rotting supports, “cleaned it” (sure they did) and confined the 6 new girls there for the rest of their lives without any outside access. Y’all know how I feel about that one. Well the 6 girls have a 5gallon waterer, my 13 chickens use 3’s (easier to move). Mine will empty it in about 3 days in this weather. Those 6 girls were completely out, and it was fully dried and filthy! I don’t know how long they have been without water, maybe as many as 3 days according to my mother. They also had no food. Needless to say, despite my “not going to interfere with their ‘the way it’s always been, that chicken door was never used, they never went outside’ (despite their own stories of free range mean roosters and owls that flew into the coop) chicken husbandry” I corrected this immediately. I can’t watch an animal suffer like that and do nothing, even if it isn’t my “place”, I’m not a “farmer”, and I don’t know S***! So that was my repayment for my “borrowed” feed.

Andrew forgot. Completely, both to get our water on the way home and to feed the chickens. They went very short yesterday. So short in fact, I fed Sammy and Barney’s groups at 10 pm and lit the tractors up with my phone and the car headlights. Everyone in the roosting boxes was too asleep to feed. They all got an early start today though, and are happily stuffed, but I still feel awful that they didn’t go to bed full last night. I’m still doing better than the farm, not that that is setting the bar very high!

So here is my chunky boy and his curvy ladies getting hand fed treats. It also shows what I mean about how vicious Shanti is in feeding... Gobbler is completely focused on the feeder, human or no, and even Roostie isn’t as gentle as usual.

Last edited:
Breakfast treats for Roostie

Every morning I hand feed Roostie some pellets and usually Shanti needs lured out of the Roosting box with them as well. I’m a very bad Chicken Mama. We ran out of feed, because of the holiday on Monday and a tight budget. Yesterday they all got whole-wheat bread, soaked with eggs, and what remained in their feeders in the morning, then I went and “borrowed” a bucket of feed from the farm. Yes, without asking... I feed and support 2/3 of their flock without compensation, so it’s not as bad as it seems. Andrew was to feed them on returning after dropping me at work.

This was my first time in the coop since they jacked it up, replaced the rotting supports, “cleaned it” (sure they did) and confined the 6 new girls there for the rest of their lives without any outside access. Y’all know how I feel about that one. Well the 6 girls have a 5gallon waterer, my 13 chickens use 3’s (easier to move). Mine will empty it in about 3 days in this weather. Those 6 girls were completely out, and it was fully dried and filthy! I don’t know how long they have been without water, maybe as many as 3 days according to my mother. They also had no food. Needless to say, despite my “not going to interfere with their ‘the way it’s always been, that chicken door was never used, they never went outside’ (despite their own stories of free range mean roosters and owls that flew into the coop) chicken husbandry” I corrected this immediately. I can’t watch an animal suffer like that and do nothing, even if it isn’t my “place”, I’m not a “farmer”, and I don’t know S***! So that was my repayment for my “borrowed” feed.

Andrew forgot. Completely, both to get our water on the way home and to feed the chickens. They went very short yesterday. So short in fact, I fed Sammy and Barney’s groups at 10 pm and lit the tractors up with my phone and the car headlights. Everyone in the roosting boxes was too asleep to feed. They all got an early start today though, and are happily stuffed, but I still feel awful that they didn’t go to bed full last night. I’m still doing better than the farm, not that that is setting the bar very high!

So here is my chunky boy and his curvy ladies getting hand fed treats. It also shows what I mean about how vicious Shanti is in feeding... Gobbler is completely focused on the feeder, human or no, and even Roostie isn’t as gentle as usual.
Now that just goes to show how similiar we can be ~ the little hand shuffle to pool all the food in the palm again after the chickens have scraped it all over. I so recognise that! :gigSuch lovely chickies.

Strangely, doors are rarely locked here on the island, except to the summer people’s vacation homes, and when “Corey” is on island, then even vehicles occasionally get locked. He has a past... and hasn’t grown out of it yet. Funny story Andrew’s Grandfather once took the wrong car home from the rec center, and then to town the next day. It was a similar make and color... and it took over two days for the two car owners to realize they were driving someone else’s car! This is when I make comments about the elderly, drivers licenses, and regular road testing being not such a bad idea...
WTH is 'Corey'?
Cars unlocked with keys left in?!

This is so cool to watch. Thanks for posting so often.

WTH is 'Corey'?
Cars unlocked with keys left in?!
Same here ~ re cars & doors. :) Small community living. I came home from the mainland one day to find someone had used our car to get their groceries home. I had to ring round to find who had it & get them to come pick me up. :D

Now that just goes to show how similiar we can be ~ the little hand shuffle to pool all the food in the palm again after the chickens have scraped it all over. I so recognise that! :gigSuch lovely chickies.

I do the same. It makes a better target for them.

Back
Top Bottom