Lacey’s back: distended abdomen

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve made far too many posts about Lacey lately, and unfortunately she’s back again. It’s been about two weeks since Lacey recovered from her prolapse, and she’s doing poorly again. She’s now separating herself from the flock, standing puffed up, and her abdomen is distended, and enlarged. I am concerned about ascites, especially since she has been struggling with reproductive issues.
After her previous prolapse, I am unaware as to wether or not she passed a whole or broken egg since I decided to let her back out with the flock after the prolapse retracted.
If there are any pictures that would be helpful I will gladly get them, and I appreciate any input.
Thank you so much!

Have you tried giving her aloe detox? It may help reduce fluid in the abdomen, but it will take time for you to see any results. If she's in a bad way, you may want to drain some of the fluid now from her abdomen to give her some relief and look into the detox for follow up care.

Are you still giving extra calcium? If not, then I'd give her calcium for a couple of days.
I have to wonder if she's having a hard time expelling an egg. You may want to check for one.

I'm sorry that Lacey has declined again. It can be heartbreaking to see them go up and down like this.

Have you tried giving her aloe detox? It may help reduce fluid in the abdomen, but it will take time for you to see any results. If she's in a bad way, you may want to drain some of the fluid now from her abdomen to give her some relief and look into the detox for follow up care.

Are you still giving extra calcium? If not, then I'd give her calcium for a couple of days.
I have to wonder if she's having a hard time expelling an egg. You may want to check for one.

I'm sorry that Lacey has declined again. It can be heartbreaking to see them go up and down like this.
I have not, but I’ll definitely look into it. I’ll double check tomorrow and see where we’re at, I was prepared to possibly have to drain some fluid.

At the moment I am not, but I did give 1/2 a calcium citrate tablet daily for about a week afterwards. When I stopped she seemed to be doing fine. I was wondering about that too, it’s definitely possible. I can check tomorrow.

It’s definitely an uphill battle, but she’s a little fighter, so I’m not giving up on the little lady yet. Thanks so much!

Looking through my dog supplements drawer today I remembered I have both of these products from Adorned Beast that I think I will try for detoxification. Liver Tonic is herbal, milk thistle, dandelion, etc, and Rebalancer is homeopathic, Silicea and Thuja. Silicea is also used to support the body in expelling foreign objects, so that will definitely be beneficial tor expelling an egg if that is a problem.

I’ll also check for an egg and give her extra calcium today. Hopefully we can get her back on track. I’ll keep this thread updated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 6
Just gave Lacey calcium and the tonics, along with the Adorned Beast yeast protocol which seems to be working pretty well. There’s still some build up; but nothing compared to before.
I included a picture and you can visually see that her abdomen is distended. I also noticed a milky white fluid coming from her vent, not sure how visible it is I’m the picture. Could that be albumen from a broken egg? Or is she expelling fluid? Either way I do think it is reproductive related. I didn’t feel for an egg since she was already tired of me shoving things down her throat, but I’m supposed to give the Adorned Beast tonics twice daily, so I can try again this afternoon.
IMG_5104.jpeg

Let me know how it goes.

Poor thing!
Hard to tell if there's urates or albumin in that mix. She may have had a egg membrane rupture inside. Hopefully if there's still a membrane in there she'll be able to expel it.

Remember to try to keep the material cleaned off the best you can. This time of year flies are out in force and they will be attracted to her, you sure don't want to deal with Flystrike.

Let me know how it goes.

Poor thing!
Hard to tell if there's urates or albumin in that mix. She may have had a egg membrane rupture inside. Hopefully if there's still a membrane in there she'll be able to expel it.

Remember to try to keep the material cleaned off the best you can. This time of year flies are out in force and they will be attracted to her, you sure don't want to deal with Flystrike.
Absolutely, I’m going to soak her today when I give her the tonics, etc. luckily it’s been rainy here recently.

I’ll keep up on calcium and hopefully whatever it is she’ll be able to expel it. Poor baby.

Update: while she is isn’t declining, she isn’t improving much either. I don’t think it’s ascites since she’s rather young, and I think it’s more likely a reproductive related infection. It’s not behaving like ascites either. She is also losing weight. She is usually a bit on the obese side being a Cornish bantam, and her keel has gotten much more pronounced. Her abdomen has gotten larger and firmer as well.
If it is an infection, the only antibiotic I have on hand is Penicillin from her cocci related infection a while back. Im not sure if it’s still good either, but I’ve kept it refrigerated. Thoughts? I’ve kept up with calcium and detox tonics daily.
@azygous

Her abdomen has gotten larger and firmer as well.
If it is an infection, the only antibiotic I have on hand is Penicillin from her cocci related infection a while back.
If you feel she has infection, then Baytril or Amoxicillin would be better than Penicillin. (Penicillin for Coccidiosis?)

Does the abdomen feel fluid filled, tight like a drum or just firm?
Fluid in the abdomen is a symptom called Ascites which can strike at any age. Ascites can accompany reproductive disorders and organ failure.

You've given the detox for what - 2 days? You started on Wed, it's now Fri. Doubtful you will see a marked difference in just 2 days with a remedy.
I’ve kept up with calcium and detox tonics daily.

If you feel she has infection, then Baytril or Amoxicillin would be better than Penicillin. (Penicillin for Coccidiosis?)

Does the abdomen feel fluid filled, tight like a drum or just firm?
Fluid in the abdomen is a symptom called Ascites which can strike at any age. Ascites can accompany reproductive disorders and organ failure.

You've given the detox for what - 2 days? You started on Wed, it's now Fri. Doubtful you will see a marked difference in just 2 days with a remedy.
I wouldn’t expect to see a difference in two days either. Any holistic treatment is going to take at least several weeks.

I’m honestly not sure. I just wanted to make sure I had the right diagnosis. Ascites makes sense to me, I just had to be sure so I figured I’d ask.
Her abdomen was softer, but it beginning to get firmer and tight as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom