Lame Roo- updated- How long would you wait?

LeezyBeezy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Lancaster PA
One of my year old roos was gimpy yesterday, and very lame this morning. I unfortunately had to chase him a bit to catch him (probably making it worse), but I thoroughly checked his right leg and foot and do not see anything obvious. When he sits, instead of folding both legs underneath him, he keeps the right leg up on his foot, sort of tippy toed, with his right hock up. So, I'm thinking it's in his shoulder. I did palpate his shoulder when I caught him, and again, nothing unusual.

We have a very large barn, and I hope he stays in today. My flock of 6 hens and 2 roos usually free range during the day. We have been very careful lately though, due to mama foxes lurking about (who grabbed ahen last week). We have a large coop, and I probably could put him in it with his favorite hen, however I feel like that would stress them both out and end up with the whole flock calling for each other. On the other hand, I don't want him to struggle and try to keep up outside today either. Or get picked off by a predator. (Esp. since the two roos were alarming very loudly yesterday...)

Any opinions?

I also want to get an aspirin in him today, for some pain control. His is a large Speckled Sussex roo, probably 8-9 pounds, si I'm thinking half an aspirin?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Isolation would be much better than a fox taking him. If you have a dog crate you could put it by the coop so they could see each other. Aspirin would not be a good idea. I am not sure about chickens, but it is toxic to dogs and cats. A dog crate would limit how much he would walk around, so he wouldn't hurt the leg as much.

So, he's mostly sitting on the floor in the hay, watching the other hens. I moved a small feeder right next time him, and now need to get him some water. Because he is satying so quiet, I hate to put him in the coop.

I gave him a half a baby aspirin this morning, no real change. I palpated his leg and hip again, can't really find the problem, but he is really lame. Hrmph. He may have to go to chicken hospital (crate)... poor guy.

We're now on day 4 of aspirin twice daily, and no real improvement! Still, nothing obviously injured.... I have been putting him near food and water, and although I have witnessed him drinking, I don't think he was eating. I hand-fed him an egg last night for diner, and again for breakfast. I will continue to feed him as often as he'll eat.

So, now what? I'm thinking of there is no real change by Sunday, we'll have to cull him. Which makes me sad, becasue he is bright and watchful and eager to be with the flock.

How long would you wait?

I have heard of sprains in chickens taking WEEKS to heal. So I would be in no hurry to cull this bird. Give him a chance to survive. Keep him in a small cage so he has minimal room to move and let him rest there for atleast one week, if not more. I would not cull until the bird is too far gone and in terrible pain. Give him the chance to heal. If he is still suffering in one month than you may want to consider culling.

Last edited:
I moved him into a small coop today, about that we use for chicks. I cam home from work, to find him in a corner, with a bloody comb.
he.gif
I'm sure it was my other roo... brat. Anyway, more aspirin, more eggs, no progress. Bummed. The last chicken I had with a sprain started to improve after about 5 days, so hopng he does too. He still looks pretty good, bright eyed, and eating when I hand -feed him.

SIGH. Not even the tiniest of improvement.
sad.png
He sits in mostly the same spot, which I move him some because his butt is getting dirty.
He won't eat out of a bowl, but will eat out of my hand. This morning he ate, but not as much as yesterday. He still watches the girls
and talks to them. But, I'm not really hopeful at this point.

Back
Top Bottom