Lame runner duck

KismetGrove

Hatching
Aug 10, 2023
I have 5 7-week-old runner ducks.
About a week ago, I noticed one limping slightly. When it didn't get better, I moved her to a dog crate inside the run so she could have rest and access to her own food and niacin drenched water.
It has continually gotten worse, and now she won't use her legs on land at all. I'm giving her some PT by doing her own swim, and she did go from just letting the leg dangle to kicking them both around like normal in the water. However, on land, she acts like she can't feel her legs, and just kind of crawls around using her beak, neck, and wings to propel herself.
The leg did get swollen (not immediately) but isn't any longer and is not hot to the touch. I see no signs of injury or bumblefoot and she does not react when I touch it. Her 4 sisters all look beautiful. She chows down enthusiastically wherever fed.

The niacin needs to go in the food not in the water (I forget what the word is what happens to it in the water or some thing like dissipates or disappears. ) get liquid b complex and give duck 1 ml per day make sure she gets all of it . I use syringe and give it directly, but you have to know how to do that, so you don’t aspirate the duck . I think there’s some articles on here about how to give medicine to a duck. I get the liquid B complex at tractor supply durvet brand. It will say it’s injectable, but we give it to ducks orally.

it does sound like a niacin deficiency please do what @Jenbirdee rec and get the liquid B Complex ASAP and give it to her every day. Putting niacin in water dilutes it so much and we can tell how much they are getting of it.

Back
Top Bottom