Landscape timbers for coop?

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
Several years ago, I came into a very large quantity of used landscape timbers that had been previously used by the state highway department to support guardrails. They were going to be discarded, so I took them. I have used them to build a raised bed garden - see the attached picture for an example.

I still have a ton of these things laying around. I see no evidence of creosote on them, and was told there was no creosote, but pressure treated, but 20 years ago - so safe to use in the garden.

I'm thinking of building a "log cabin" coop, with them stacked similarly to the landscape bed in the picture. It would still have windows and proper ventilation. I'd need to use framing materials to build a properly sloped roof.

Can anyone thing of a reason that this building material might not be safe to use for poultry? (this may be for turkey and guineas)

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20140909_114329.jpg
    20140909_114329.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 80
That's a beautiful raised bed. I love it backup against that gorgeous outcropping. I love the outcroppings in NH... and in my area too!
Do you have any idea when the timbers were actually manufactured? That will make a difference on what chemicals may have been used to protect the wood from insect and fungal attack. You might want to scrape out some of the wood fibers from several samples and submit them to a lab for analysis. You could start by calling Eastern Analytical, Inc. in Concord, NH and explain your concern. To be blunt, I'd be more concerned about the contact of the lumber with the soil you are growing your veggies in than with the chickens contacting the lumber. They won't eat the lumber but the chemicals could leach out into the soil and be free to be drawn up into the plants.
The older CCAs (copper chromated aresenicals) are more toxic than what is used today to preserve wood. These were no longer used for RESIDENTIAL wood treatment effective Dec 31, 2003 but the timbers you have were not made for residential use.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful raised bed. I love it backup against that gorgeous outcropping. I love the outcroppings in NH... and in my area too!
Do you have any idea when the timbers were actually manufactured? That will make a difference on what chemicals may have been used to protect the wood from insect and fungal attack. You might want to scrape out some of the wood fibers from several samples and submit them to a lab for analysis. You could start by calling Eastern Analytical, Inc. in Concord, NH and explain your concern. To be blunt, I'd be more concerned about the contact of the lumber with the soil you are growing your veggies in than with the chickens contacting the lumber. They won't eat the lumber but the chemicals could leach out into the soil and be fee to be drawn up into the plants.
The older CCAs (copper chromated aresenicals) are more toxic than what is used today to preserve wood. These were no longer used for RESIDENTIAL wood treatment effective Dec 31, 2003 but the timbers you have were not made for residential use.

I am always amazed at the knowledge, wisdom and experience of BYC members!
I do know that the timbers were used before 2003. They told me from the 90's. The highway department told me that they were being pulled and replaced because they had reached end of life and would begin to erode. But I am gong to give eastern anaytical a call right now. Thank you. I have used hundreds to build raise beds (ok - my son built them all - I was sitting and providing support).

Yup - there is ledge everywhere you turn in NH. My home sight is about 250 above that ledge. Spectacular views, but tough to build anything.

Do you have any idea when the timbers were actually manufactured? That will make a difference on what chemicals may have been used to protect the wood from insect and fungal attack. You might want to scrape out some of the wood fibers from several samples and submit them to a lab for analysis. You could start by calling Eastern Analytical, Inc. in Concord, NH and explain your concern. To be blunt, I'd be more concerned about the contact of the lumber with the soil you are growing your veggies in than with the chickens contacting the lumber. They won't eat the lumber but the chemicals could leach out into the soil and be fee to be drawn up into the plants.

Eastern Analytical sent me to the UNH Cooperative Ext. They said they know others have been told it's ok by UNH, but also said "but of course, we can't tell you what to do with them!" - so now I'll wait for UNH to answer.

I hope the timbers will be ok to make a coop from...that would be one sturdy, good looking coop! Keep us posted :pop
I'm thinking it probably would be bear proof! I always thought that maybe is build the grandkids a fort one day, but as none of the kids seem that interested in delivering grandkids - the chickens are gonna get priority.

I'm thinking it probably would be bear proof! I always thought that maybe is build the grandkids a fort one day, but as none of the kids seem that interested in delivering grandkids - the chickens are gonna get priority.

Your kids sound like my 2...apparently some just don't breed well in captivity :lol:

Do you have a problem with bears in your area?

Back
Top Bottom