Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Do you see a decline in feather quality in the Barred birds? We have bantams in this color, but I have yet to see Large Fowl.
What do you mean with a decline in feather quality? If you mean that the barring become lighter it isn't the case. The barring is always sharp when putting pure buff barred birds against buff animals.

The bamtam are also in europe and they are recognized.

Congratulations with the offspring. Now the selecting procedure can really begin!!!
That is the hard part!

What do you all look for (or cull for) at this age? I would love to hear some thoughts on what you are looking for at what age. I am new to cochins. So, how do you decide who has what it takes, and who goes to pet homes?

That is the hard part!

What do you all look for (or cull for) at this age? I would love to hear some thoughts on what you are looking for at what age. I am new to cochins. So, how do you decide who has what it takes, and who goes to pet homes?

Very hard at this age. If the parents and the grandparents weren't true cochins you can only look at the feathers of the feet. Some will already have very long plumage on their toes, these are the best ones. If the middle toe hasn't got any plumage I surely would get rid of these.

Last edited:
Very hard at this age. If the parents and the grandparents weren't true cochins you can only look at the feathers of the feet. Some will already have very long plumage on their toes, these are the best ones. If the middle toe hasn't got any plumage I surely would get rid of these.
What about leg color? Do some colors change leg color with age?

The leg color should be as yellow as possible. With darker cochins such as blue and black it is a bit harder. They tend to have dark legs but their soles of foot should alaways be yellow!

With white and buff animals you can sometimes have animals that have white feet. The whiteness can be reduced with giving carrots during they grow.

But nice yellow feet is also a good selection criterium after the foot plumage! So mama2my4 it is all in the leggs for this moment :)

Last edited:
The leg color should be as yellow as possible. With darker cochins such as blue and black it is a bit harder. They tend to have dark legs but their soles of foot should alaways be yellow!

With white and buff animals you can sometimes have animals that have white feet. The whiteness can be reduced with giving carrots during they grow.

But nice yellow feet is also a good selection criterium after the foot plumage! So mama2my4 it is all in the leggs for this moment :)

Thank you so much!! I will check them today!!

Man, I thought my silkie peeps were cute. But these little cochin babies are adorable! I am in SO much trouble, lol!

What do you mean with a decline in feather quality? If you mean that the barring become lighter it isn't the case. The barring is always sharp when putting pure buff barred birds against buff animals.

I am so jealous of all the recognized colors in Europe but maybe if I had all those choices it would be impossible to decide.

Last edited:

Not the pattern, but the actually feather quality apart from the color/pattern. Is there a difference between the Buff Barred and the Buffs they decend from?

Back
Top Bottom