Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Hello, all.  Glad to find this forum!  After many years of being "chickenless", I have decided to get back into the LF Cochins...yay!  This time, I am interested in finding a source for the gold laced variety.  I used to keep blacks and buffs but am finding myself drawn to this amazing color.  Would like to start with some very high quality birds.  I did locate some coming July chicks from McMurrays, but I know the quality won't be there.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!   Thank you.

I know Anderson8505 did have them. She's in Florida. Dick Horstman has them. So does Roland Doerr. I'm not sure if I spelled his name correctly. He only sells adults.

Hello, all. Glad to find this forum! After many years of being "chickenless", I have decided to get back into the LF Cochins...yay! This time, I am interested in finding a source for the gold laced variety. I used to keep blacks and buffs but am finding myself drawn to this amazing color. Would like to start with some very high quality birds. I did locate some coming July chicks from McMurrays, but I know the quality won't be there. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I have some. Doerr and Horstman lines, but I just lost my cock, so I won't have eggs til next year when my young males are grown.

I'm not having any luck finding LF Silver Laced Cochins. Does anyone know Which hatchery would be the best to order from/has the best stock? I've heard that Cackle has good stock and Welp.

Thanks!
Carol Ann

Has anyone ever had dealings or poultry from Gabbard farms hatchery? That's another one I was wondering about.

Thanks guys!
Carol Ann

I'm not having any luck finding LF Silver Laced Cochins.  Does anyone know Which hatchery would be the best to order from/has the best stock?  I've heard that Cackle has good stock and Welp.

Thanks!
Carol Ann

I wouldn' t rush it or buy from a hatchery. I've been wanting LF Cochins for about a year now and just made a deal for a trio of high quality pullets. It's worth the wait for the best birds. I had a moment of weakness and bought 5 at a chicken swap awhile ago and they are such poor quality that they're going back to the chicken swap. Just subscribe to the cochin threads and read the posts and keep your eyes open for people who might be selling what you want and participate in the conversation, and you'll eventually find what you are looking for.

Gabbard farms is just a few miles from here and I wouldn't drive there to get some birds if they were giving them away, JMO I have a pair of SLC'cs that are 4 months old and I might be able to get in touch with the lady I sold my flock too she would probably sale you some.

Now I am nervous to see how my silver laced chick turns out! It doesn't have as many feathers on its middle toe as I would like. More like a sprinkle of feathers. *crosses fingers*
Have any of you mixed a bantam with your LF? I have all standards and wanted one mini but I don't want a horrible experience for her.

Back
Top Bottom