Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Hmmmmm well I guess I got the 1% the hatchery got wrong. My daughter picked it from a pullet shipment from Ideal at the feed store. lol Either way it has a home unless it goes crazy and starts floging us. I can't imagine a 13lb rooster trying to hop in my lap every chance it gets.

Crash course in genetics... The chicks will be barred even if breed to black? Will they be blue or black barred?

They will be black barred unless you breed him to blue hens then you would get blue barred. Chicken sex genetics are reverse of mammalian sex genetics in that the hen carries the differentiating chromosome for sex and thus, she determines the sex of the chicks not the cock bird. I have seen many good cock birds culled for producing too many cockerels when it wasn't their fault, poor guys! Since the cockerel will give one of his sex chromosomes to his chicks and the pullets only require one copy to be barred the pullets will be barred as should the males be also they will probably be poorly colored but take the best chicks and breed back to the father to improve the barring. If you were breeding a black cockerel to barred hens then your pullets would all be black and your cockerels would be barred. The reason in the sex linked barred birds the males are lighter colored that the females is that the males carry two copies of the barring and the females carry only one copy.
Hopefully I didn't butcher this too much, I raise Barred Plymouth Rocks so I have see the effects of a barred cockerel getting in the pen with black, red and other color hens.

Bo

Hi Bo,
If you are still out there...I emailed you a week or so back. Did you get it?
Clare

Clare,
I am still carrying on all the major life functions by the grace of God alone. I didn't hatch very many birds this year, I just needed a break! I may have an extra cockerel although they are very young. I have certainly enjoyed the pictures you have sent, you are doing well with the brahma bantams and the large black cochins. We fully intend on being at the show and I'll let you know closer to the time if I have a good cockerel for you, I'll try to pick you a good pullet producing fellow.

Blessings,

Bo

Clare,
I am still carrying on all the major life functions by the grace of God alone. I didn't hatch very many birds this year, I just needed a break! I may have an extra cockerel although they are very young. I have certainly enjoyed the pictures you have sent, you are doing well with the brahma bantams and the large black cochins. We fully intend on being at the show and I'll let you know closer to the time if I have a good cockerel for you, I'll try to pick you a good pullet producing fellow.

Blessings,

Bo

Thanks Bo! Sounds like we are both hanging on by our toenails. We will see you in November!

To anyone else in the vicinity...there is a great APA/ABA show the first weekend in November in Farmington, NM. I would love to see more LF Cochins entered.

I have a question I'm hoping some of you can help me with... I have a small flock of 9 Cochins from SQ stock. Two of the cockerels have developed oily looking spots on their backs, right in front of where their tails begin. The spots have been there for about a week and seem to be getting larger. I've been watching the flock but have not seen signs of this in any of the other birds. They are 15 weeks old, Several of them are molting, I've treated the for worms, they get chick starter food and vegetable snacks every couple of days. Any ideas?

Oil glands don't usually make a large spot.....hmmmmm...
Are  your cockerels free-ranging and hanging out under a truck or tractor?

Unfortunately no. We have hawks and foxes. My chicks are locked up tighter than Ft Knox. I pointed out the spots to my husband today thinking maybe I was imagining it ...I'm not. He confirmed that its like a small oil slick on their back. I have no idea what could be causing it.

Unfortunately no. We have hawks and foxes. My chicks are locked up tighter than Ft Knox. I pointed out the spots to my husband today thinking maybe I was imagining it ...I'm not. He confirmed that its like a small oil slick on their back. I have no idea what could be causing it.

Maybe they have found a gusher in the chicken coop!!! I would check their roof out. Is there a leak?
Do you have any kids? One might have been giving them a lotion massage. Your husband might be playing games too. ^^

Back
Top Bottom