Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Thanks Sandiklaws!  How might one trim a Cochin bootie??  Scissors??

The way I do it is get my daughter to hold the chicken with it's back end facing me and for the Roo, trim with scissors feathers beneath the vent. The hens you trim above the vent. I trim them closely to the skin and it worked well for me. I couldn't get a fertile egg from them before I trimmed and now they all are fertile.

I just found out this boy is a Cochin... I hatched him from some eggs I got from a fellow BYC'er last year. I sent her pics to find out what he might be. We really love him. He's huge and gorgeous. My daughter really wants to show him at out county fair in August, but I have a few questions... I know nothing about Cochins, so this seems like a good lace to start learning!

1) What do you think of him, conformation-wise?
2) What would you call his color?
3) If she shows him, she would want to show him as a breeding trio, which would mean we would need a couple of hens... Anyone have hatching eggs for sale??

Thanks for your help!!

I just found out this boy is a Cochin... I hatched him from some eggs I got from a fellow BYC'er last year. I sent her pics to find out what he might be. We really love him. He's huge and gorgeous. My daughter really wants to show him at out county fair in August, but I have a few questions... I know nothing about Cochins, so this seems like a good lace to start learning!

1) What do you think of him, conformation-wise?
2) What would you call his color?
3) If she shows him, she would want to show him as a breeding trio, which would mean we would need a couple of hens... Anyone have hatching eggs for sale??

Thanks for your help!!

That is not a cochin. Looks like a mix that might have cochin in it. Sorry.

My 5 week old kiddos. Two pair. I can't wait to see how they fill out! Can you tell anything about cochins type at this age? I figured they were too young still.
Cockerel Pullet

Cockerel Pullet

Hi all! Wondering if someone could answer a few questions. I've been raising blue, black, and splash Cochins for two years now. I bought lots of eggs from different breeders, most advertised as giant Cochins, and I kept the best for breeding. I culled a LOT. I now have a HUGE blue rooster, a black rooster, and about 15 black and blue hens. I have a splash rooster but he doesn't get along with the others so he's with my egg layers.

Last year I hatched mostly black Cochins, and a few blue. Raised a few to adults and they were pretty.

This year I am getting a lot of black, a few blues, and some that are really light blue. One dark blue has brown tipped feathers on its chest , one light blue has dark blue patches, and another is patches of blues... Do I have a mixed bird somewhere or does this happen with blues?

Last edited:
Hello, I bought my daughter some cochin chicks for her 4-H project. They are now three months old and I still have no real idea who are hens, and who are roosters! And the fair is in four weeks. I bought some whites and blue Cochins from Ideal Hatchery. So I'm not expecting high show quality. Just something she could take to the fair.

Question one, am I correct that only the really light blue is what they call splash, or is the bird that is medium blue, in between the dark blue and splash, actually splash also? As there is one splash, one what I call medium blue, and then the rest are dark blue. At least that is what I'm thinking at this point.

And since I bought them straight run, is it simply going to be impossible for me to know at this age who is rooster, and who is hen? She really wants to show the medium blue bird, and I'm leaning towards hen on that one. Anyhow, thank you for any info given, pictures to follow!

Back
Top Bottom