Large Fowl Crele Project...

Here are a few of my Crele Old English Large Fowl that I show.

Bob

4444_crele_c1resized.jpg

4444_crele_h1resized.jpg

If you are wanting a TRUE LF Heavy breed Crele bird, like Kev said, you have to use a breed that is the wild type Red Duckwing aka BB Red. The only LF heavy breeds that I can think of that are Red Duckwing are Welsummers and Red Dorkings. So you would need to use hens of one of those breeds, on a barred rooster of a breed closest to what you are wanting. That will get you true Crele. Buff and variation of Buff Barred or Red Barred birds can be produced the way you have there, they just shouldn't be called crele.

Last edited:
Quote:
Im going to be getting some Welsummers, might should try that then and see what I get.

Lesson learned and I wont call him crele
wink.png
But I do find the crele coloring beautiful and interesting to look at. Something to think about and possibly work towards in LF.

Quote:
Im going to be getting some Welsummers, might should try that then and see what I get.

wink.png
But I do find the crele coloring beautiful and interesting to look at. Something to think about and possibly work towards in LF.

Yep try that will the Wellies.

And yes, Crele and you Buff barred colored roo are very beautiful colors, I myself am working on Buff Barred Orpingtons, it's gonna be a while before I get them were I want them though.

Quote:

wink.png

Yep try that will the Wellies.

And yes, Crele and you Buff barred colored roo are very beautiful colors, I myself am working on Buff Barred Orpingtons, it's gonna be a while before I get them were I want them though.

Sweet I will try the Wellies! Also I have some BO that I will try just to see what I get.

Would love to see your BBO's

I have no idea if this will help, but some on eggbid is selling "crele" cochin eggs.

Quote:
Don't worry about it, we all start somewhere..

I am not sure what genes he has, but you probably could use him over buff orps with the goal of buff barreds without too much problem. Cross, then choose best barred son back to pure orp.. repeat if necessary to get the type etc.

Quote:
Thanks but those another example of "shows any color other than black, let's call it crele".... those cochins are either gold birchens or leaky blacks- blacks that are lacking all the genes to help make them solid black. Look at the hen, she is plainly a cuckoo. Black and white.. the rooster has more color.. but then look at a birchen. One quick way to tell if a rooster is really crele or not is by looking at the wing triangle. Cochin rooster lacks the wing triangle(crowwing). True creles always have the duckwing patch(triangular area of brown).. look at the brown area on wing of the rooster and overall color of hen posted by blackred.. she's not cuckoo colored. Those are true crele, without question at all.

Back
Top Bottom