Large Fowl Crele Project...

Pics

Sock Puppet

Grumpy Hen
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
I was thinking about maybe starting a large fowl Crele project. I know that the OEGB has crele but are there any Large Fowl Crele's.

I just thought I would post a cool picture of this roo I have. Its a chick from the Aloha Project that I am helping work on. Although he might not be able to be used for the project because his markings seem to be crele (barred) instead of mottled and the Aloha's are supposed to be mottled.

This is Kahili (ka-HEE-lee)
24162_kahili_4-12-10.jpg

What do you think? Would he be good for a large fowl Crele project and if so what would I breed him to, to try and get this pattern?

True crele is barring on a red duckwing. This cockerel has Co, which removes black from breast and much of his body.. so he cannot be called crele. It is extremely common for almost any barred bird showing any other color than black to get labeled Crele.. which makes it a little frustrating and confusing. For good examples of true crele, it is best to search for crele OEG. "crele" in many other breeds are often not red duckwing based, being barring over some other color instead.

You can use him over a red duckwing hen in the aim for a crele.. but you will need to breed out the Co and possibly other genes. If you like *this* color, put him over any hen with a clear body with colored tail/hackles. If you are not terribly concerned about a perfect match with true crele, many EE hens will be a good match- use hens that more or less look like a red duckwing hen in color. Since EE are such a mixed bag, you would get barred birds with a range of "colors" between the barring.. some without the black breasts(like Kahili), some with black breasts.

I think part of the problem is there are not too many true red duckwing in Large/heavy Fowl.. so to make crele in a breed where red duckwing is not recognized/approved color is a double challenege in a sense, have to breed in a red duckwing with all the traits and type of the desired breed, plus either bring in barring and/or remove all genes that alter the expression of 'pure' red duckwing color, and so on..

It is possible to get birds relatively close to true crele in look over wheaten base, hens look very different though.. and also on brown(partridge), although they can tend to be "dark".

Wait, so are you just trying to get Crele LF birds or a certain breed? Because Crele LF birds do exist in the US. . . There's a breeder of Oriental Gamefowl with gorgeous Crele Shamo crosses.
smile.png

Patch has got some crele going on, at least according to Henk. I have to be careful who I put under him: it seems any one with the slightest barring-pattern throws 100% barred chicks. Very disapointing (at least for me).

36979_img_2665.jpg

Quote:
See what I mean about any barred bird showing color other than black being called crele. That rooster is barred and mottled and same as the first.. has Columbian- breast not black. Second one looks buff columbian with barring.

Crele are red duckwing with barring added.

This is a true crele:

KaizerCreleOEGBtyCkl.JPEG

This is the black breasted red aka red duckwing pattern, what crele is based on:

1BBRed.jpg

This is what your birds look like without the barring:

Buff_Brahma_Bantam.jpg

Last edited:
Patch and Kahili come from the same parent stock. I was hoping a pic of a different roo with the same traits might help.

Ah okay.. but point still stands, added pictures to help show the differences. Its a common problem.. this is to me what calling an EE "Araucana" is to other folks..

It is very frustrating to get all excited about someone who says they have "Crele Polish" only it turns out the birds are variously barred over gold lace, black crested red, etc.. even saw leaky blacks with barring called crele. I love this color and would love to see it taken up in various breeds- I think a true crele Polish would be a magnificent looking bird for example.

Also, if it's decided to go the route of barring over a buff bodied, black tailed bird.. call it something else other than crele. I've seen really beautiful ones.. also solid buff birds with barring, those always get a lot of attention.

Last edited:
This rooster recently sold on Eggbid, he would probably be a good start for a Large Fowl Crele project. The breed is a San Juan Gamefowl according to the seller, they`re wild birds that roam free similar to the Key West Chicken`s in Florida.
5806_dsc_0031.jpg

Thanks Kev, learned something new today
wink.png
Yes, genetics can be confusing to a newbie. Thanks for the genetic info. It helped seeing pictures.

So instead of saying crele I should come up with a different name. So If I bred him to say Buff Orps, then I can work on getting a buff barred type bird since I dont have a true crele. I have seen buff barred birds and they are really pretty.

Wow, Tony, thanks for the picture. What a beautiful bird.

Quote:
I thought it would be fun to have some Crele LF birds and thought that Kahili had that trait, but apparently he's not a true Crele. I will have to check out the Oriental Gamefowl and see what they look like.

Back
Top Bottom