large number of chicks with swollen, watery eyes!

jimgem

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
I have a group of about 15 chicks which are all around 6 weeks old in an outdoor run. there are also a couple of ducklings in with them, i have noticed that maybe half of them have eyes that either won't open or are watery and swollen. ducks seem fine. any ideas on what it could be and how to treat them? any help is much appreciated!

Had this same problem with my last set of chicks! I attributed it to ants cause their mom kept them on the ground at night. I brought mine in and mixed warm water and saline. I used a washcloth and the mixture as a compress on their eyes. After letting it set alittle gently run it up and down ( not side to side!) and their eyes will open. I did this every day twice a day ( morning and night) on every chick for about five days and their eyes finally opened and stayed open. I also had to move them into an elevated brooder to keep them away from the ants

There is some sort of highly contagious respiratory illness that has symptoms similar to what you described. Years ago I unwittingly brought home a silkie that had small bubbles in the corners of her eyes. Within days the whole flock was sick, hanging their heads, sneezing, watery eyes... It was awful. If I recall it was a water soluble antibiotic treatment that ultimately cured things. I of course am no veterinarian and certainly don't advocate the random use of antibiotics but some of the symptoms you describe sound suspicious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom