Larkwell Valley (2023)

I'm so very sorry, Jacin :hugs
grphug.gif

Watching my mystery white pullet. She's got a limp, but it looks more like when they land stupid than that it isn't able to control that leg.

Weirdo lost one of her legs. Waiting on the toes from the other one still. She doesn't seem to be letting it slow her down though. She was with the rest of the swarm when I let them out today.

Ducks and a few birds are laying rather consistently. Still waiting for my scovies, hopefully they start soon, or are they typically closer to a year for starting to lay?
Most of mine started the next year after hatch but not all of them went broody. Hoping to have more broodies this year.

Ducks and a few birds are laying rather consistently. Still waiting for my scovies, hopefully they start soon, or are they typically closer to a year for starting to lay?
I must've had super broodies. Mine usually started laying and being broody at around eight months of age. It wasn't unusual for the first year ducks to start before the more experienced ones often coming out with ducklings in February and March. Most of the time there was still snow on the ground and overnight temperatures well below freezing.
The disclaimer for them being able to hatch so soon was that they had access to a hay barn and they tended to find a spot at ground level and close to the dirt where it didn't freeze because of the hay preventing it.
In the cold weather the females were smart enough not to take the ducklings outside unless it warmed to above freezing, even then they were only outside for short durations and usually multiple times a day.

I'm hoping that they don't try to brood for at least another month so it's not too cold for nesting. My buff especially. After her stunt with brooding in like December, I'm hopeful she broods again in a better season.

I also want to get the incubator going, but I know to wait until again, it's warmer and I get the mini barn more complete so they can stay outside when they hatch

I'm hoping that they don't try to brood for at least another month so it's not too cold for nesting. My buff especially. After her stunt with brooding in like December, I'm hopeful she broods again in a better season.

I also want to get the incubator going, but I know to wait until again, it's warmer and I get the mini barn more complete so they can stay outside when they hatch
It was the Muscovies that brooded early, the Swedish waited until May and June.

I need mine to start laying first, lol. Never got an egg from them last year when they were Littles, and the Swedish already have beat them for a couple weeks this year
They typically don't lay that many eggs to begin with, so... Most of the eggs I got last year were from the Quackers.

Back
Top Bottom