Lash egg or fetus?

Chickenems

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Got this weird shaped egg from the coop today. It was definitely laid today. It has a clear shell and it cracked open and spilled out just like a normal egg. Is this a chicken fetus?? I just discovered today that one of my pullets is actually a roo based on the bullseye in some eggs I cracked open this morning. Unsure which chicken it is yet. What do you think??

I also am attaching a picture of my fertilized eggs and the two chickens who are possibly a roo.

Attachments

• FD6B19EC-BEE0-4E23-9AA6-AC3D1B949FF8.jpeg
    FD6B19EC-BEE0-4E23-9AA6-AC3D1B949FF8.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 01B33D2A-28C2-43BD-95C4-50FF4AA62BA8.jpeg
    01B33D2A-28C2-43BD-95C4-50FF4AA62BA8.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 18
  • C40977ED-8AC2-451A-A836-1F48204B201C.jpeg
    C40977ED-8AC2-451A-A836-1F48204B201C.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3FAF874B-6C54-4F7D-9F69-D41F698C2E3A.jpeg
    3FAF874B-6C54-4F7D-9F69-D41F698C2E3A.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 11
  • 8BBCFD48-7653-48AA-B6D2-C32F68C21252.jpeg
    8BBCFD48-7653-48AA-B6D2-C32F68C21252.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 19
Is she acting off at all?

She was able to pass the material, so I'd consider keeping watch on her for now.
The shell is oddly shaped, I'm having difficulty determining if it's body checked and mended as well or ? @aart thoughts on the shell?

What do you feed including treats? Provide oyster shell free choice. Do look her over for lice/mites.
If possible, get a fecal float to check for worms. Disturbances within the flock can cause some odd eggs as well, so watch to see that everyone is getting along relatively well.

Is she acting off at all?

She was able to pass the material, so I'd consider keeping watch on her for now.
The shell is oddly shaped, I'm having difficulty determining if it's body checked and mended as well or ? @aart thoughts on the shell?

What do you feed including treats? Provide oyster shell free choice. Do look her over for lice/mites.
If possible, get a fecal float to check for worms. Disturbances within the flock can cause some odd eggs as well, so watch to see that everyone is getting along relatively well.
I have 7 20-22 week chickens. I throw in a cup of scratch in their grazing area with a couple tablespoons of oyster shell a day. They also get squash leaves, our zucchini excess, some soft strawberries, watermelon and I have them some nectarines a few days ago. They are on developer feed as only 5/7 lay. One not laying is obviously a rooster. So I only have one hen not laying.

I will keep an eye on her. Thank you for helping me out!

I'm having difficulty determining if it's body checked and mended as well or ? @aart thoughts on the shell?
Yes, I'd say body checked and repaired.
I would cut that lumpy thing in half lengthwise to get a better look at it.

They are on developer feed
What is the protein percentage?
I'd cut out all that other stuff for now.
Are the other layers laying good eggs?
Has this bird ever laid a 'good' egg?

Yes, I'd say body checked and repaired.
I would cut that lumpy thing in half lengthwise to get a better look at it.

What is the protein percentage?
I'd cut out all that other stuff for now.
Are the other layers laying good eggs?
Has this bird ever laid a 'good' egg?
I was so grossed out, I already discarded the thing.

The developer is 16% protein and she’s has about a dozen or more good eggs since laying. I’m tempted to crack open the rest of her eggs to see if they’re normal.

Hear a little back story on the bird that may or may not be helpful. She was my first layer. After about 5 eggs, she started acting very lethargic. I assumed she was egg bound. I did an epsom salt bath. The next morning I found what seemed to be yoke splattered on the wall by where she roosted the night before. She also began acting totally normal again but didn’t lay again for three solid weeks. She started laying everything other day again last week. So I don’t know if this egg has anything to do with what she went through a few weeks ago.

I just went out there this morning to gather eggs and she ran and greeted me with all the other birds. So she’s acting just fine. What gives?

For 20-22 weeks old I don't think either of those two you posted photos of are your cockerel. What other possible suspects do you have?

But, could you get a better shot of Rosie's saddle feathers too?

I have 7 20-22 week chickens. I throw in a cup of scratch in their grazing area with a couple tablespoons of oyster shell a day. They also get squash leaves, our zucchini excess, some soft strawberries, watermelon and I have them some nectarines a few days ago. They are on developer feed as only 5/7 lay. One not laying is obviously a rooster. So I only have one hen not laying.

I will keep an eye on her. Thank you for helping me out!
I agree with @aart. There is definitely an infection brewing. I highly recommend that you stop feeding all of these treats and only feed a layer type pelleted or crumbled feed.
Takes away from the bird getting a balanced diet and when the bird doesn't get a balanced diet, infection is much more likely to set in, especially if the bird is slightly overweight from eating too many treats.

Back
Top Bottom