Lash egg or fetus?

I agree with @aart. There is definitely an infection brewing. I highly recommend that you stop feeding all of these treats and only feed a layer type pelleted or crumbled feed.
Takes away from the bird getting a balanced diet and when the bird doesn't get a balanced diet, infection is much more likely to set in, especially if the bird is slightly overweight from eating too many treats.
Good to know! I will stop that for now. She’s definitely a narrower bird. So it’s not cause from being overweight :). But we will stop extras.

I was so grossed out, I already discarded the thing.

The developer is 16% protein and she’s has about a dozen or more good eggs since laying. I’m tempted to crack open the rest of her eggs to see if they’re normal.

Hear a little back story on the bird that may or may not be helpful. She was my first layer. After about 5 eggs, she started acting very lethargic. I assumed she was egg bound. I did an epsom salt bath. The next morning I found what seemed to be yoke splattered on the wall by where she roosted the night before. She also began acting totally normal again but didn’t lay again for three solid weeks. She started laying everything other day again last week. So I don’t know if this egg has anything to do with what she went through a few weeks ago.

I just went out there this morning to gather eggs and she ran and greeted me with all the other birds. So she’s acting just fine. What gives?
If she's already has one bout of being lethargic and having troubles, I'd make sure that she's getting calcium (oyster shell) free choice.

It's hard to know which way to go, the material you found inside the egg could have been a good "clean out" and she'll have no more issues, but I would watch her closely. If she has another time of acting the same way, then I'd get Calcium Citrate into her asap for 3-5 days and start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin.

Diet is important and poor diet can exacerbate certain conditions and promote disease, but diet is not the cause of inflammation of the oviduct or infection. E. Coli, Mycoplasma and Salmonella are common causes of this condition in hens.

Back
Top Bottom