Lash egg?

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I found this in my nesting box and I thought it could be a lash egg. The chicken who laid it is a Leghorn who is about 5 years old. She hasn't laid an egg in awhile, probably over 1 year ago was the last time she laid. It's been very hot here so the outside of the egg thingy is hard. Is it a lash egg? Also my Leghorn is acting perfectly fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_163526_988.jpg
    IMG_20220613_163526_988.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220613_163431_702.jpg
    IMG_20220613_163431_702.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220613_163422_322.jpg
    IMG_20220613_163422_322.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 17
Unfortunately, chickens will die of issues related to reproductive disorders. Ascites and crop disorders may go along with these disorders, as a result of abdominal pressure on the internal organs. My flock was exposed to infectious bronchitis virus, and that can affect the reproductive organs later on. Cancer is also common in hens over 2-3 years old. I have had many different breeds, and they all can suffer from reproductive issues. I recently lost my 10 year old hen, and she also had he problems. It is good to feed mostly a balanced chicken feed and limit any extras for best chances on a healthy life.

:hitShe died this morning, she wasn't acting extremely sick or anything, but I could tell she was slowing down, her abdomen was pretty bloated. Before I went to church this morning she was in the coop and didn't come out, I took her out of the coop and put her in the run. When I came back from church she was laying dead where I put her. Thank you everyone for your knowledge and help, I appreciate it. I'm going to bury her in our chicken grave yard now.

Yes, I would think that is lash material. Can you cut it in two and take a picture? Some people will give an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or Baytril to treat infection and salpingitis. They may or may not help, but could extend her life.

Yes, I would think that is lash material. Can you cut it in two and take a picture? Some people will give an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or Baytril to treat infection and salpingitis. They may or may not help, but could extend her life.

Attachments

• IMG_9546.JPG
    IMG_9546.JPG
    963 KB · Views: 18
Antibiotics can help if used in early stages. Amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online) or Baytril (enrofloxacin) are ones commonly used. Here is a link for the 10% enrofloxacin from a reputable place:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
For 10% enrofloxacin/Baytril I would give 0.05 ml per pound twice a day for 5-7 days. That is about 0.25 ml for a 5 pound hen.

I am having a terrible time right now. I hope it improves, too. Not having a lot of fun right now.

We (humans) bred these birds to lay as many eggs as possible. As a result, they tend to get reproductive problems. It sucks.
Hopefully everything does get better.

This hen was about 5 years old we got from TSC, that's pretty good for her, especially for a Leghorn from there. I am never going to get any production breeds again. I got 2 other Leghorns and 3 ISA browns along with her, ALL of the ISA browns got sick and died. One leghorn got sick and died and the other one got killed by a dog. :(

Back
Top Bottom